help my website look good on Macs!

cwoody222

Registered
OK, I need some help. I work at a website. We recently did some changes and our new homepage looks awful in certain types of browsers.

We were able to fix most of the Netscape PC issues but there are still some Mac issues that are plaguing the developers...on all browsers - IE, Netscape, etc.

Our developers are mostly IE and PC trained so I'm hoping to be able to steer them in the right direction with some help from some seasoned Mac web programmers.

Anyway, the site is www.buffalo.com (just the homepage, you need not go further)

I'm using OS X 10.1.3. Using IE or OmniWeb or Opera (beta or other versions both have the problem w/ OW and Opera) I am getting the problem of the drop down boxes not "fitting" where they're supposed to along the right and left side. This should be very clear if you take a look.

On Netscape v6 and Mozilla 0.9.9 I get that problem and also the fonts are WAY messed up. Mostly too big or not the right font style.

I'm assuming it's some kind of problem with the style sheets they're using or something but I was hoping there was, like I said, some way I could point them in the right direction. Especially with the drop down menu problem...that's got to be fixed! Especially since it happens in IE.

P.S. You'll notice the broken icon in the upper left corner in OmniWeb...I THINK that's a problem on OmniWeb's end to do w/ javascripts or something...but any help there couldn't hurt.

Thanks in advance for the Mac-centric advice!!!

In explorer, everything looked good but in Chimera and Omniweb the links at the top for HomeFinderExtra.com etc. were all the wrong size and were blue not white. In all three, it seemed like the ads on the right were too far over to the right and didn't fit in with the rest of the column. Also the drop down menus for WNY Web Directory and Affliates are too wide so maybe decrease the size of the text from 11px to 9 or 10px. Other than that the site looks fine.

Well, just started looking at the code and already in the first inner table (besides the main one) I see a problem.

The table's width is defined as 633 pixels.
The table has 3 columns (td), one of 160 width, one of 312 and one of 150. A bit of the code was a little jumbled in there, although I went through it a few times and came to the same conclusion each time.

312 + 160 + 150 = 622
11 pixels just vanished.

The next table below it only has a row that is 633 pixels wide as would be expected, but the table inside of it as defined as being 630 pixels wide with no border/padding/spacing.

I would suggest going through and checking your math for table width/height as well as the cells within them and the images within them. With those corrections alone I was able to get pieces of the web site (I didn't fix the whole thing, although the sections I took went from being broken to fixed) to properly display in OmniWeb 4.1sp67 and Mozilla 0.9.9 for OS X.

Oh, and you don't have to be so rigid defining the pixels for each table/cell. Take advantage of using percentages when appropriate... it'll help some browsers.

Cheers,
Dak

Back