HELP--need advice on strange happenings

teacher24_70

Registered
Okay, I need to know if I'm on the verge of a major problem. This evening alone, several strange things have happened on my computer.

1) I have cable internet (through wireless airport). Thus, when I walk into the house, I should have instantaneous connection. I got home tonight, opened up my laptop, and the wireless network had disappeared. It didn't even show up under Internet Connect. I ended up having to reset my Airport Base Station.

2) Once while viewing a webpage and opening a Realplayer file, my computer basically froze on me. The only thing that was happening was a faint ghosting of the spinning circle. NOT the beachball, but the circle (made up of bars) that twirls at start-up. The one that spins on the background before the log-in window comes up. It kept spinning and the only way out was to do a hard start-up--holding down the power key for 6-8 seconds.

3) I restarted, then continued working. I worked for another hour or so and something similar to #2 above happened again. This time, the faint image of the spinning circle began (when this happens, nothing is accessible--just frozen other than spinning circle). This time, the circle only spun for 15-20 seconds or so, then the screen went blue. It stayed blue for a few seconds, then turned black. The "Darwin-Console" came up asking me to log-in. I have no clue how to do anything in the Terminal setting, nor did I even know how/why it came up, so I had to do another hard start.

Does anyone have any advice/idea of what's happening? I haven't done anything unusual recently. Downloaded a few 3rd party things, but nothing out of the ordinary. After the first crash, I did download the newest Security Update for 10.3.9, but it had already crashed once BEFORE I did this, so surely the update wasn't the problem.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you would have done something differently than I did, please advice me so that next time something like this happens, I can change my reaction.

Hi,
dont know really whtas happening, but have you tried to verify and repair your permissions and run cron scripts? (one easy way to do it to download onyx-freeware and let it do everything9 Or use disk utility to repair permissions. Thats always good to do after installing things.
Then you could reset your pram. While starting up press control, option, p and r until you hear the startup chime at least twice. (some macs have different ways to reset pram you could check it out from apples site.)
Dont know if this helps you or youve done it already, but its a good way to start.

tomi

Okay, I ran YASU and did the 3 cron scripts (daily, weekly, monthly) and repaired permissions. Hopefully this will fix the situation. Unfortunately, before I could do this, my problem #3 (from original post) reoccurred. I don't know enough about DARWIN/TERMINAL to know what to do to get out of it. It asks me to login. I think that when it happened last night, I tried my ADMIN login password, but it didn't work. How do I get out of the black screened darwin/terminal window? Is a hard restart the only way?

Sorry for sounding so clueless. I'm very Mac savvy, but the UNIX Terminal component is completely foreign to me.

tomid said:
Hi,
dont know really whtas happening, but have you tried to verify and repair your permissions and run cron scripts? (one easy way to do it to download onyx-freeware and let it do everything9 Or use disk utility to repair permissions. Thats always good to do after installing things.
Then you could reset your pram. While starting up press control, option, p and r until you hear the startup chime at least twice. (some macs have different ways to reset pram you could check it out from apples site.)
Dont know if this helps you or youve done it already, but its a good way to start.

tomi

Back