Help ! Need some developer to Port a X11 App to Cocoa

MADMACMAN

Registered
Hello,
so i'm working a lot with Mpeg 2 Files and need help to port a Mpeg 2 editor from X11 to Cocoa. The App is could gopchop and the webside is here :http://sourceforge.net/projects/gopchop/
I'm not developer but i can design a nice Gui for it & help other way...
So if anyone can help me to get it run under OSX or at first get it run under X11 than plz mail me. I try'ed to compile it but for me it was the first time so i have no idea...but maybe for you it will be just 2 min becaus ya know how....
So if you also need a Mpeg 2 Editor or have time or be curious than plz contact me & help us to get a new OSX App.

Thx

Stefan

I'm having problems compiling one of the components. Gopchop relys on a module called XML::parser, which in turns relys upon an xml engine called expat. Expat is included with XML::parser, and makefiles generate fine via configure, but when make is invoked gcc can't find "expat.h". Which is kinda important =) So I went to sourceforge and found the latest version of expat. Which has the needed headed file. Only there's still "issues". I'll see what I can do, but I ain't an expert. I have no real experience with make and the like, so it's a learn-as-you-go type of thing. However, I am a saddistic b*st*rd, and actually like this kinda stuff.

I'll post again later with a progress report.

Although, it just occurred to me... I wonder if the fink project has ported expat or XML::parser... Think I'll check that first.

(tig)

In fink, you'll want to install the package called xml-parser-pm. That's the Expat wrapper for Perl.

And you need to also install a package called mpeg2dec. This is available from fink.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

Thx for the try,
yes in fink you can install the xml parser & mpeg2dec..i did it and it makes the configure fine after that i type make and it starts but at the end i got some error msg...hmm the same with make install...Is there a possibility in fink to compile the package ? i have no found an option how to add an App to the list...I mail'd also the Author and he replys that it sould compile with fink and run then fine...also try not only the last version ....the stable 1.0.0 version is maybe better...also to install via Fink is GTK-1.2...i all did it but with an error at the end....mabe i did something wrong...

Under fink, you need to install the mpeg2dec-dev package. This is the package that includes the mpeg2dec/mpeg2.h header file that is complains about. From looking at the configure output of gopchop, it seems like you might need the gtk+, g77 packages as well.

Then in the directory where you unpacked gopchop, you need to do the command ./configure.

This isn't as easy as it sounds, as you need to pass it certain flags. The following is my configure command
./configure CXX="g++" CFLAGS="-I/sw/include -O2 -mcpu=7450" LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /sw/share/aclocal" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/sw/lib/pkgconfig"

After this, you can do the following
make
sudo make install

Then you can run GOPchop, and it will run :) I've got it up and running now.

wow cool i try it now again...do ya think it will easy to port to cocoa ?
is it possible to make an xcode project from it so that it will be easya to compile & modify ? can someone help with that ? thx for help ::love:: ::angel::

MADMACMAN said:
wow cool i try it now again...do ya think it will easy to port to cocoa ?
thx

No, I don't think it'll be easy to port to Cocoa. At least, I don't have the time to port it to Cocoa, plus since I use OroborOSX as an X11 window manager, I get pretty good integration with OS X (i.e. copy and paste support).

You could try if you wanted too, of course. That'll benefit everybody :)

yes it run under x11 but i can't see the video ....how can you install mpeg2dec via fink...it shows me libmpeg 1.3.1 and thats installed any idea ?

Well, you probably can't see the video because you didn't install mpeg2dec. You install mpeg2dec by doing the following command

sudo fink install mpeg2dec-dev

You'll be asked to enter your password, and then fink proceeds to download all that you need.

Now, I've been using fink for a long time, so its possible that I've modified some things, and that's why mpeg2dec can be installed. If the above doesn't work for you, here what I suggest you do.

Edit /sw/etc/fink.conf.
In the line "Trees:" add "unstable/main unstable/crypto" (without the quotes)

Then proceed to do the following
sudo fink selfupdate #You should just use the default option, which is 1
sudo fink update-all
sudo fink install mpeg2dec-dev

That will update fink to the very latest version. That my version of fink, and I managed to install mpeg2dec with it. Beware, it may take some time to compile everything.

Oh and XCode is *not* easier than the command line. IMHO, XCode is the biggest pile of junk that pretends to be an IDE. Its support for anything other than Objective-C and Cocoa is mediocre.

Couldn't find the mpeg2dec/mpeg2.h with fink (or finkcommander), though. I've had trouble lately with it getting the current pkg list. Anyway, I downloaded mpeg2dec and compiled from source. Was a bit of a pain, but since I didn't really know what I was doing that's to be expected. Anyways, good luck with it from here. Hope you get it all worked out.

(tig)

Viro said:
Its in the package mpeg2dec-dev.

Yeah, but as you stated above, it's still classified as 'unstable'. If I'm gonna hose my system, I want it to be all my fault :D Maybe I'll learn something from it...

On an aside, I can't get it to load an mpeg either. Keep getting the error box, with the robot from RoboCop. It trys, but gets parse errors.

Oh well, I'll mess around with it some more later.

(tig)

hehe... Its no more stable than the one you downloaded off the web :)
That's the whole Debian philosophy, the paranoid buggers. But its interesting you say you can't get it to load an MPEG. Where can I get an MPEG to try out?

I've tried getting an MPEG from my Sony Cyber-shot digital camera, but I think its only and MPEG1, not MPEG 2. I've got no clue about video editing. Anyone know how to determine what MPEG version a file is in?

Yes,
you have to use a Mpeg 2 PS Stream like from a TV Card . The Files you get also when you rip a DVD for example with OsEX you can choose if you want ES Elementary Streams Mpeg & AC-3 = demultiplext or PS = Programm stream = VOP or Mpeg. So if you can Rip a DVD you can get a Mpeg or Vob to try out...
but well thank you very much for your great help....i have tryed also the 1.0.3 version to compile but i get also some errors...
a other thing is: is it possible to run Linux Software on Mac ? There are very nice Mpeg 2 Video Editors out there on Sourceforge like the Linux Video Editor http://sourceforge.net/projects/lvempeg/....witch can also be very intersting if it run on Mac OS X....maybe you know how...

Thanxx

I found a site that supposedly has samples, but none that I downloaded worked in gopchop. I then went on to Gnutella via Poisoned and searched for mpeg2 files, which I'm still in the process of doing. Hopefully I'll get SOMETHING that's predetermined to be mpeg2...

(tig)

The only way that I know of to run Linux under OS X is via Virtual PC, which was recently aqcuired by Microsoft. However, Mac-on-Linux is another story entirely.

Do you have a mpeg2 file that you could e-mail me? I still don't know for certain whether or not GOPchop works properly for me. It appears so, but without a certifiable MPEG-2 file I can't know for sure.

(tig)

Ok, this is gonna sound stupid, but was there anything in that mpeg? 'Cause it loads with 18 GOPs (0-17), all of which have 12 pictures (except the last which has 3) and audio. However, all are 0 bytes in size.

There could be something I missed in the build; I can go back and re-build if necessary.

(tig)

Back