Help needed: keyword search in Safari Leopard

ora

Registered
Hi friends,

My productivity is being sapped by my lack of any way to enable 'keyword' searches in safari, where you type directly into the address bar to search. I had any term in the address bar go to google, then prefixes for wikipedia and other reference sources i use. The advantage is the focus starts on the address bar for new tabs so i never had to touch a mouse in Safari.

I used SafariSIA before, and I know Saft does the same, but both have been rendered useless by the InputManager shutdown in Leopard. I did find a version of SIMBL the guy claims to work on Leopard dev builds, but never found a SIMBL plugin for the searches. Does anyone have any way to recover this functionality, short of switching to FireFox which i don't like as much.

Cheers

Same here. Nothing to be done about it currently other than simply using the google-bar instead of the address bar.

Ah well, i thought maybe one of the resident experts could help. I am using the google bar but i swear every three minutes i type in the address bar, hit return, get a load error and have to retype in the google bar. The functions of SafariSIA should have been inbuilt IMO.

SafariStand will let you use prefixes for search sites (e.g., "d word" for the dictionary.com definition of "word"). SafariStand claims to work in Leopard. The Tiger version used InputManagers (via SIMBL); I wonder if it uses a different menthod in Leopard.

Are InputManagers really dead in Leopard, though? I did some Googling on the subject, and everyone seems to say they're not completely dead, but just "unsupported", and you may need to jump through some hoops to enable them. But most of this seems to be about developer previews, and apparently it changed a lot. Does anyone know for sure what the situation is in the retail version?

InputManagers were one of the coolest things about OS X and Cocoa. The idea of them being gone....makes me think about Linux again.

.. as should some proper ways to block images and frames containing ads, and disabling all flash.
Shouldn't take long to have those available htough..

Yeah, the PithHelmet guy gave little info, just linked to a Leopard ready version of SIMBL, which installed. I'll try SafariStand now, and if it works I owen Mikuro a drink or 5!

On a related note, am i the only one to have paid for PithHelmet? I hope not.

EDIT - doesn't seem to work, ah well. Maybe Fryke and other folks who had the dev builds can comment, but i get the impression the input managers were removed right at the end so all these Leopard happy versions just work with that.

Fixed! Saft now has a Leopard-ready version, you just use saft as a safari launcher and it launches it with the inputmanager bundles.

Does the searching but unlike safarisia you can't have a search type that has no keyword. I type 'g searchterm' whereas with safarisia i just type 'searchterm'.

Enjoy.

I wait for either SafariSIA or sogudi or something that really, really can replace those. Anything else just doesn't seem right to me. :)

My worry is that SafariSIA has had no update in a long time and no changes to the site since Leopard, hence buying Saft, let me know if you find anything else.

tell them to create a default search term without trigger. :) I'm sure they can do it...

You can set your DNS servers to use OpenDNS. It has some automatic stuff like if you enter in just "word" it'll go to "word.com".

Has anyone tried Input Managers 1.0? It's supposed to re-enabled some InputManager plugins like SIMBL. I think it's made to automate the chmod'ing and whatever other hoops you jumped through with Sogudi.

So you're looking for Guinea pigs? Or have you tried it and it didn't work? What _did_ work for you? :) (I'm going to take a look at it now.)

UPDATE: SafariSIA doesn't work, at least if I simply install Input Managers 1.0 and then SafariSIA, it simply doesn't show up, like before. So the search goes on...

Guinea pigs, yeah. :D

Normally I do test things myself, but I'm not using Leopard yet (I know, I know, what's wrong with me?!), and I'm curious. I use a lot of SIMBL plugins (several of which I wrote myself), so I'm very interested in these developments.

I emailed the safarisia guys and no reply, i emailed the saft guys to ask for a default keyword and no reply, i guess i will use sogundi once they finish converting it.

Back