help needed with mail please

applewhore

Registered
Hi

I've been using MS Office (particularly Entourage) for the past 4 years but have been looking forward to being able to move away from it as Office has the apps that most regularly crash on my computers.

Finally it looks as if Mail / Address Book and iCal are a worthy replacement so I've taken the plunge and ported all my addresses etc. across.

I travel regularly and, in the past, I simply copied my "in progress" folder across from my desktop to my laptop and replaced "Microsoft User Data" from within "documents" - and copied / replaced them on the desktop when I got back... In this way I always had ALL my emails and current work with me at any time.

My question is simple... How can I do the equivalent in Mail? I'm sure there must be a file / folder I need to copy across, but I don't know which one.

Any help gratefully received on my transition to 90% Windows free computing... (I can't see myself ditching Word and Excel for the time being... :rolleyes: )

Thanks!

:)

You may also want to think about copying the com.apple.mail.plist file too. If I remember correctly mail stores information in the preferences about your mailboxes. Thus if your laptop does not have the same mailbox structure as your desktop, some of your mailboxes may not show up.

I would double check that, but it appears that with 10.4 plist files are no longer xml based.

Anywho, if copying the files back and forth doesn't work for ya, consider IMAP. It was designed to for this kinda of thing.

Thanks, gnomo!

I'll play with the preferences file too...

IMAP is a good suggestion, but sometimes I work offline and I still need access to all my emails...

Thanks again

ed

Back