Help networking mac and pc!

Jermsmingy

Registered
Hey Guys,
I tried to network my mac and pc today because I was told it can be done. so I setup a shared drive on my pc and then I went to the finder in os x and went to connect to server and typed in "smb://Familyroom/Cam" Familyroom is the name of the pc and Cam is the name of drive c and that machine. so a screen pops up and ask for workgroup username and password. I type in workgroup because that is the name of the workgroup and I leave the user name blank because there is no user name and I type in my password and hit enter. it immediately says that there are no file services available. Apple claims that you can network between macs and pcs. Did I do something wrong on the apple side or the pc side. If anyone has successfully networked a mac and a pc using samba, any info you can give would be greatly apprecitated.

Sounds like the problem is on the PC end. Which I might not be of too much help since it sounds you're doing this on a 9X version of Windows, I've only done this on Windows 2000.

I do belive you are getting that error because you are not supplying a user name. You may need to set up a user on the PC (I think you can leave the password empty) before it lets you log onto it.

I don't know if this will help - but do you recall what you typed in when you installed Windows for a User Name (usually a full name if you don't change it), or if Windows already came on your PC, see if you have a "Logout" option under the Start button, if you do it'll have a name next to it like "Logout Your Name".

Try typing that in. I just don't know if you can use spaces...

Hey Thanks you are right it is something on the pc end. I logged on to my dad's pc fine. I went to virtual pc and I have I saw all for pc's and the only one I couldn't connect to was the one I wanted to. So I will have to figure out what is wrong with it.

Hi. I just thought that since someone else has a thread for getting help networking a Mac w/ a Win9x PC, I would use that instead of starting a new thread. I am trying to do the reverse:
I have 10.1.3 on my cube, along with Samba Sharing Package 1.5.0 and just over 5k MP3's. I want my mother and sister to be able to listen to those songs on their Win98 PC. I tried to do the setup, but I am not sure what the equivalent names between the Samba Sharing Package 1.5.0 and the Win98 network control panel. I also don't really know the correct way to set up the latter. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area: while I have used the network here at school, it is entirely win2k and MacOS 8.1; and the only setup experience I have is when I got a Centris 610 for free and used AppleTalk to connect it to the Performa so I could play a networked game and print from both to my Stylewriter 2400 (which I cannot use on my Cube.... grrrr.... no $$ for new printer).
Also- I don't mind too much if the MP3 thing won't work, I have other ideas for this networking bit. Oh, and maybe I should mention that I am using a crossover cable directly between the Mac and PC.

Jermsmingy, In Network Properties, make sure you have File Sharing on and make sure you have at least one folder shared.
Then browse from your other Windows box and see if it shows up now. If it does then try connecting from the Mac.

HTH

sheepguy42,
I've had problems with the Samba sharing from OSX myself... More than likely it's my fault that I don't understand it. I was even trying it on Linux before OSX and was unsucessful then too! :p

I've downloaded trial versions of DAVE and have been so very happy with it that it's in my shopping list (as soon as I have enough money for it). There are some that say DAVE is bad and that there are better out there.... But DAVE is all I know and I've had great sucess with it! :)

With DAVE, as soon as it was installed I was able to browse to it from my Windows box and got access to the Printers connected to it (even an Apple Laser Writer via AppleTalk! Sweet! :D )

One thing I did notice tho, when transfering large amounts of files from/to the Mac - my CPU processes get gobbled up by DAVE... maybe it was because I didn't have too much RAM at the time - but it slowed my entire computer to a crawl until it was done...

Like I said, there might be better - and I guess I should look around before buying DAVE... but I've given up on Samba... :(

Try this:

"smb://workgroup;Familyroom/Cam"

You forgot your Workgroup in your smb call!

I keep reading the successful stories about how everybody is connecting PCs and Macs and I just want to cry!!

I can't so it and I just don't know why! I did everything that was mentioned here ( the smb://hostname/shared thing) and the damn thing won't go! After I press CONNECT I immediately get the message that there are no services available...but there are!

Please, who is gonna be the angel that's gonna aswer me: what am I doing wrong? Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Joana

Hi Joana,
From your PC, double-click on Network Neighborhood and make sure the PC can see itself first. If you can see your own PC, then double click on it and make sure you can see a shared folder inside.

Let me know if you can see it and we'll go from there...

What Windows Operating System do you have on your PC? (uh, that is - you are using a Windows Operating System on the PC - right? :D )

Also, do you have a firewall software running on your PC? Like Zone Alarm?

-Sergio

Ok I connected to my dad's computer running windows 98, but I cannot connect to the computer in the game room running windows 98. so I went to my dad's computer and connected to the computer no problem. I know that I am finding the computer because the screen pops up and asks for my workgroup, name and password. it just won't connect. The only difference on the 2 machines is that I am sharing the c drive on the one I can't connect to. On the one I can connect to I am sharing a external drive mapped as k. Does that make any difference. But the weirdest thing is that in vpc I can connect to my dad's computer, but not mine. Does anyone no what I am doing wrong?

Back