Help on a Wallstreet...

CalSD

Registered
Recently I upgraded my “Wallstreet” 2 gig hard drive to a 20. I put OS X on a 2.5 gig partition and OS 9.x on the remaining 17.5 gigs as the installer, for some ODD reason, will not let me put OS X on a partition exceeding 8 gigs! Now…with OS X 10.l.4 and a few desktop pictures, including OmniWeb 4.1, I have only 667 megs left on the 2.5 gig partition. I have all my apps on the 17.5 gig partition. I fear that “Jaguar” may require more than I have available on the 2.5 gig partition! I know there are some “invisible” OS X files but is possible to transfer OS X to the 17.5 gig partition and “Classic” to the other? Thanks in advance!! :(

On older G3 machines, OS X will only install on a partition under 8 gigs. I'm not sure why, I think it's a hardware issue. Maybe 10.2 will fix it, but there's nothing you can do other than make an 8 gig partition just for OS X and use the other blank space for storage.

The Wallstreet (and some others) cannot use a volume larger than 8 Gb as a boot disk. An OS upgrade will not resolve this issue, perhaps a firmware upgrade but I have my doubts about that too. Certainly doubting that we'll see one even if it possible.

Back