HELP, PB not talking to broadband

sUICIDE_mONKEY

Registered
Hi
My Powerbook G4550, runnin OSX V.10.2.5 wont connect to the internet anymore.
It was working the last time i used it, about a week ago, i lent it to my cousin who needed it (to fix a network of macs and pcs in a school), when it came back it had Dave 4.0.3 and Norton Utils 8 and firewall installed on it ,i manually deleted these off the system but i presume they are still causing problems. I have the network settings set up the way they are supposed to be, via DHCP with IP number assigned by server. But when it connects, underneath the IP number it says (self assigned) im presuming the computer is assigning itself the IP instead of the Broadband provider (BTW:Its NTL, in Belfast Ireland)and this is why its not connecting.... Is there anyway to reconfigure the Network settings so that they'll go back to default or to get rid of the software he installed.... (hopefully without reinstallling osx)
My housemate has a pc which is working fine on the broadband so there isnt anything wrong with the broadband or cable modem....

Nope didnt work, Still no web connection,
same thing comes up (self assigned IP Number) which should be assigned by the isp not my comp yeah? also its a 169.xxx...etc number instead of a 192.xxx..etc number, 192 is a web ip- yeah?so why am i assigned a 169 number???

Dave can't really be uninstalled by dragging. Run the installer and use the uninstall option. If you don't have Dave, you can download the uninstaller here;

http://www.thursby.com/support/faq-search.lasso#33227

I would also do a Find for Nortons and whatever Firewall was installed, unless that was also Nortons, and trash everything you find.

Next time you lend your machine, I would make sure the person didn't make any changes like that.

I dunno, ive tried unistalling them, reinstalling them and uninatalling them again but to no avail. Had a friend look at it aswell. Maybe a good cleanout will do it good, get rid of a lot of crap i have on it... anything i should know bout reinstalling OSX and OS9 with the particians, is it anymore complicated than just installing OS9 or does the format and install, install them both for me without any hassle??....

The other thing to consider on this one would be a physical problem. Double check your cables to make sure your connecting correctly to your hub/router. Also, if you're using DSL, make sure your line is connected to the proper filter port. (had that happen to me once, it was connected to the phone port and it took me a ful lday to find my error).

When the machine self-assigns like that it's assuming there's no active connection, which means the problem might not be at the computer level.

K, few days afer my last post after running the installers (downloaded from limewire) and and doin the search 'norton' 'dave' etc and trashin what i found... after gettin ready to reformat and reinstall, backing everything up on cds, after doin this i tried the connection again and low and behold it worked, ran it for a few days ... absolutly no problems....
:mad: BUT :mad:
I disconnected it, brought it home for christmas, what a month and a half later im back up in my house tried connecting again (3 hours ago) and the exact same problem has started happening again....

Over christmas the only use it got was, a few christmas posters,cards etc made in illustrator for my dads school, but nothin out of the ordinary, also tried connectin it to my sisters 667 G4 Powerbook, i couldnt connect to hers but could see mine from hers so got the job i wanted to do done.

I dont have time this week to start reinstalling osx, cause my end of semester exams are on... but need to connect to internet for notes and things... so any other sugestions would be fantastic.....

I ran the hardware diagnostic cd, everything passed.
There aren't any filter ports on the cable modem, just the one ethernet port.
Not Connecting through a router.
Tried entering the ip manually, but no avail.
When the Network Prefs is set to DHCP it is self assigning itself an ip (which the server is sposed to do)
All cables are working properly.
The cable seems to be recognising activity coming from my computer.

by the way, it went without sayin that my cousin didnt get a christmas present this year! :mad:

Limwire adds spyware to your Mac these days. Bad choice.

All you should have needed to do was uninstall everything, go to your utilities and use the internet connect utilities to reconfigure your system. Sounds like your cousin went haywire and changed the settings. I'm assuming you gave him admin rights (another bad choice) and you both use different Internet setups? And he changed the settings to suit him and didn't set it back.
It is drastic, but as much garbage as was installed on your system, you may want to start clean rather than trying to fix/delete everything.
And next time, create a second user for your cousin, don't give him any admin rights and kick his @$$ next time he messes with your computer without asking and/or knowing exactly what he's doing.

What internet utilities are you talkin about?, the Network and sharing prefs in system prefs ?or are there more ?? :confused: (im runnin 10.2.5)
None of my settings seemed to be changed when i got the machine back all i noticed was Norton & Dave which he forgot to wipe off the system. All my locations in my network prefs were the same .......

Yes i gave him admin rights :rolleyes: silly silly me, but at least i didnt give him root... (which is what he asked for,the tool).... and "and kick his @$$ next time ", you better believe it!!

:confused: :D :confused:
ok... its eh workin again.... hmm...
i didnt do anything,....but its workin again :confused:
..... maybe it aint my computer at all... maybe its the cable box,gonna get it checked out, tho the other computer is workin fine on it....

i think what you're experiencing is a OS X bug...
check the other thread regarding nearly the same issue

don't know why it's working for you though...

K, was gonna start a new thread but thought it might be related to my previous, above, problem.though I'm pretty sure the previous problem is with the cable modem and not to do with my mac, but then whats the problem here then........

My Dad just got his brand spankin new eMac 1GHZ with Superdrive, his 1st Mac (another person i finally got converted) anyway its fantastic, OSX.3 is pretty slick,...

Anyway Tried to connect it to my PB via the ethernet(crossover) cable, it'll see and mount mine but mine won't see it.......
I'm pretty sure the previous problem is with the cable modem and not to do with my mac, but then whats the problem here then,.... so how do i get mine connected..... appletalk is on and set to utomatically config on both machines.... god im confussed! :confused:

Oh what button do you hold down again to start over the firewire cable??

ok i'm getting an error 36 <-36 ioErr I/O error (bummers)> anybodygot any idea what this is/how to fix it?

Just tried to connect ny sisters powerbook (867-G4) to the emac and couldnt get it connected either, i aint to experienced in all this connecting comps 2gether so maybe im leaving something out but i have appletalk on, and all the network prefs. set to ethernet....
Any ideas?? :confused:

Back