Help Please - Local Workgroup

bjneuman

Registered
I am running OS X 10.1.2 on a fast enough G4 with plenty of ram. I share a DSL line with other people in my house, most of whom use Windows computers. Everyone using windows has access to a local workgroup where they can share files between their computers. I have tried endlessly to gain access to this, but have been unsuccessful. I have tried using the "Connect to . . ." dialog box but haven't been able to figure anything out. I have tried DAVE 3.1 X but couldn't figure it out.
There may be a way to access the workgroup with these tools, but I have not yet figured it out.
I am connected to the internet via Verizon DSL through my ethernet card.
If anybody can help me at all, that would be appreciated very very much.
Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bryce Neuman

Search for these terms:

SMB
SAMBA

You'll find it. It's quite easy when you know what to look for!

What do you mean search for SMB and SAMBA?
Where do I search for them? Mac help? Google? DAVE help?
I am new to this, so more specific directions would help out a lot.
Thanks

Bryce Neuman

SEARCH THIS WEB SITE :p

Just so you don't run off and compile samba if its not what you want...

From the finder, press apple-k (brings up connect box).
Enter windows computers into it like this:
smb://192.168.1.224/share
where 192.168.1.224 is the ip address, and 'share' is the windows share. BTW, some people say using the windows computer name works better than the ip.

When prompted, enter your password. Most pre-NT windows computers don't care about username either ;-)

Hope that works.

our workgroup doesn't work exaclty like that, though.
do i need to know the IP address of whatever computer I am accessing, or is there any way to just browse a list of the other computers on the workgroup? On all of the windows machines there is a folder on the desktop that has all of the other shared folders in it.
Also, what do you mean by "'share' is the windows share"?
Thanks

Bryce

There are three parts to Samba/Windows networking:
1. The server. This provides a shared folder or drive allowing clients to access the files on it.
2. The client. This is what allows the guest computer to access a windows shared drive. OS X includes a Samba client.
3. The browser. This shows which workgroups and computers are available to you. In windows, this is the "network neighbourhood". OS X does not include a Samba browser.

OS X includes a Samba client, which means you can mount Windows shared drives and folders. But because there is no Samba browser included, you need to know either the IP address or the workgroup and computer name of the PC you are connecting to.

Heres what to do, assuming both the PC and Mac are connected with a working network:
PART ONE: Setting up a Windows share
- On the PC, open Network control panel.
- Ensure you have the "File and print sharing for M$ networks" in the list of network components.
- Click "File and print sharing" and select "I want to give others access to my files".
- In the Identification tab, note and/or set the computer name and workgroup.
- Select the drive or folder you want to share in windows explorer.
- Choose "File -> Properties" and click the "Sharing" tab.
- Select "Shared as" and enter a share name.
- You might need to restart the PC. Check the shared file again to make sure the settings have been kept.
PART TWO: Connecting OS X to a windows share.
- On the Mac, choose the finder and select Go -> Connect to server.
- In the "address" field, enter either:

smb://IP-address/sharename

(put in the IP address and share name of the Win computer)
or, if you don't know the IP address, enter the computer name and workgroup name like this:

smb://workgroupname;computername/sharename

You may get a dialogue asking for a password. If you have not set a password, just leave it blank. Your PC shared folder will appear as a drive on your desktop.

------
That is all you need to do. If, on the other hand, you want to browse files on your Mac from your PC, you need to get a samba server.
You can now download "Samba X" from versiontracker. It is a samba server nicely packaged up, with an installer and instructions. It is also free open-source! Also worth looking at, the commercial program "Dave" implements all the Samba browsing and sharing, as well as Windows printer sharing.

Back