HELP PLEASE : Webcams for Mac

iluvosx

Registered
Friends,

I am pretty sure this must be an oft-asked question. I want to use a webcam with my Yahoo Messenger on my G4 Powerbook to video chat with my pal who works from a PC. I have started out looking for Webcams which are compatible with Macs and work with Messenger. My first choice is iSight (no risks about drivers etc) . But does iSight work with Messenger ? Is it compatible ?

Logitech USB claims to be the best - but I am worried that they would call some drivers which I may never be able to locate.

I am a novice in this matter - would any kind soul please enlighten me on how I should go about buying the cam - links, recommendations would help too.

Thanks so much.

No USB webcam is the best. Make sure you get Firewire. iSight will work with Messenger. it will even work on a PC. Any webcam you buy, if you don't get the iSight, just go to the manufactures site and make sure they say it's Mac compatible. Any Firewire webcam should be.

Surronded said:
My Logitech Webcam is compatible. Logitech always makes compatible hardware.

They do? Someone should tell my two Logitech Quickcams at home collecting dust because they don't work with OS X, maybe if someone tells them "You are compatible" they will magically start working...

Brian

I use an iBot firewire webcam....they've gotten cheaper in price and work fairly well. So do the Pyro series of webcams :) original usb webcams can't hold a candle to firewire ones in terms of quality and speed

btoneill, I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and it works with NATIVE OS X drivers by logitech. They are out since 2002...

I have a Logitech QuickCam Zoom (USB) with drivers provided by Logitech on their website only (not available on the cd and not listed on the box) - works perfectly with iChat (using iChatUSB) and iVisit.

3mors said:
btoneill, I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and it works with NATIVE OS X drivers by logitech. They are out since 2002...

I wasn't disputing that some Quickcams work with OS X, just that "Logitech always makes compatible hardware" is not true.

Brian

Back