Help recognizing a MAC disk on a PC

joka86

Registered
I was asked by a freind if I would take a look at his Mac hard disk, he asked if I could recover the data from it. I've done data recoveries on many pc disks but this MAC drive has me stumped. I am currently running an Windows2k machine, the MAC drive is an ATA drive, which i have currently connected into my pc. The PC will not recognize the drive when its in an external or when its plugged in internally. When I made the drive "cable select", the computer booted up and gave me a "disk error" and asked me to press crtl-alt-del. After changing the jumpers the pc booted fine but still did not recognize it.

Things I've tried:

- using an external
- using a different ide cables
- plugging it into my internal ata133 expansion card
- changing the jumpers from Master, to Slave, to CS, to no jumpers.
- going through the bios to get it recognized

The drive spins, and all I need is it to be recognized, I have MACdrive6 installed and im running Phoenix Stellar Mac to do the recovery.

I have no more ideas, and my lack of experience with MAC is hindering me even more. I would really like to help him out. Any ideas, information, articles, would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Ryan

Thanks for the reply post, but as per my previous post I already said im using MACDrive6 along with Stellar Phoenix for MAC. Anyone else have any ideas? please :)

Usually when a drive goes bad it's the case the drive is in that's the culprit. Have you tried moving the drive to a new case? Make sure the new case is a mac case similar to the original one; also, test on a mac. I'd be worriied about corrupting data trying to test on the pc since data structures are different between mac and pc files. Mac files have 2 directory forks whereas pc files have only one.

The Drive was not booting on the MAC it was connected to. But usually when a drive can spin you can a least recognize it and sometimes recover it. I do have an old school Imac sitting in the closet. I will pull it out today, and try swapping the drive into it. Will that work? If I can figure out how the get the drive recognized then I can figure out my way from there. I dont have a good mac to work on it with, I planned on using MACDrive to see it, and Stellar Phoenix MAC to see the data on the Drive.

Yep, I've had the same problem: Drive goes out and won't mount at all on a mac. But the fix was to switch the drive to a different box and it mounted fine.

Oftentimes the circuitboards in drive cases are very flimsy and go out quicker than the drive does.

The Drive was not booting on the MAC it was connected to. But usually when a drive can spin you can a least recognize it and sometimes recover it. I do have an old school Imac sitting in the closet. I will pull it out today, and try swapping the drive into it. Will that work? If I can figure out how the get the drive recognized then I can figure out my way from there. I dont have a good mac to work on it with, I planned on using MACDrive to see it, and Stellar Phoenix MAC to see the data on the Drive.

If it's a really old mac, it will have trouble booting from the drive if it's over around 6 GB. Do you know the exact model? I'd try booting from an install disk with the drive that you want to recover in the mac. If the installer sees the drive, it's good. If not, then something inside the drive is broken.

Back