Help Resurrect my Proteus

Cory Bauer

Registered
So I got up today and launched Mail, Safari, and Proteus, just as I do every morning, but lo and behold Proteus no longer works today. Trying to get my accounts to connect results in nothing but the pretty rainbow beachball.

This is what I've done to try and fix it, and nothing yet has worked:

- Trashed the Preference file in library/preferences

- Trashed my accounts

- Trashed the entire "Instant Messaging" folder in ~/Library/Application Support/

- Trashed the Application and Reinstalled it

- Repaired Privelidges in Disk Utility

- Ran fsck -y at startup

Nothing. Nothing has helped. Is there a file somewhere that I am missing? Proteus is responsive so long as it's not trying to make an account connection (if I disconnect from the internet the beachball in Proteus stops). The account window always shows both my ICQ and MSN account as "disconnected", and of course the beautiful beachball. I don't even get the pretty account connecting sound effect.

To add insult to injury, indigofield.com, the Proteus webpage, is down today so I cannot go there for help. I hope someone here can help me. I would greatly appreciate it!

the same thing happened to me today!!
i also tried all those things you did, with no good result :(

Hazaa! I found the answer over at the MacNN OS X software forum. Justin replied there personally, and provided a link to a new version of Proteus that fixes this problem.

Apparently he was unaware there was leftover code in his program that checked to see if it was capable of a connection was able to be made with indigofield.com upon launch, and when his website unexpectedly went down today, so did every Proteus user. They explain it better here, and Justin provides a link to his new version:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144596

The new version works great, and I'm loving the new way names and timestamps are displayed in the message windows!

Back