Help setting a program to launch at startup with root permissions...

Jason

Eyebrow Moderator
basically what the title says

i have rumpus, and it has to be launched with root permissions... right now i use a program called pseudo to open it, but i would like to have rumpus launched at login w/ root permissions... is there any way to do this?

This is what you need to do (I just did it for a prog for myself as well, so this should work)

Go into /Library/StartupItems (that's the one at the root of your HD, not the one in your home directory)

I like to use the command line to do things, but you can do it from the finder as well..

cd /Library/StartupItems

Create a folder for your app
mkdir Rumpus

go into that folder
cd Rumpus

Create two text files
one named Rumpus with the the following contents
#!/bin/sh

##
# Start Rumpus
##

ConsoleMessage "Starting Rumpus"

path.to.rumpus.goes.here/rumpus

The other named StartupParameters.plist with the following contents
{
Description = "Rumpus Initialization";
Provides = ("Rumpus");
OrderPreference = "Last";
Messages =
{
start = "Starting Rumpus";
stop = "Stopping Rumpus";
};
}

Then make the file called Rumpus executable
chmod 755 Rumpus

Then restart your Mac and log in, rumpus should already be running (it will get started as root during the startup process).

I really wish they would make a nice gui to make this process easier for everyone, adding startup progs should be as easy as it used to be.

well i got one problem, i dont have a startupitems folder in my main library... i am running jaguar if that makes a difference

this is what i did and i didnt get it to work

made folder in /System/Library/StartupItems/ called Rumpus

within folder i made the two files, using pico

then i did the chmod 755 on the first file entitled Rumpus

and when i restart rumpus is nowhere to be found as far as starting

well i feel like an idiot, i decided to read the read me and it tells me everything.. sheesh, well thanks :)

workin now, now if it would hide on startup as well that would be cool ;)

I am running 10.1.5 here so I don't know what changes they made to Jag as far as startup items (I noticed I also have a StarupItems in /System/Library/ as well as /Library, I think /Library is for user installed startup items and /System/Library is for system things). How did you get it to work? Curious as to what was in the readme and how you got it to work and what the differences are in Jag.

Back