help setting NFS share...

barker

Registered
Hi,

I need to set an nfs share on my os x G4 so my Tivo can see it. I'm hoping for some simple instructions on how to do it, as I've tried doing it using the netinfo manager and haven't had any luck. At least, I've been unable to see the share from my pismo running os x.

I can handle command line instructions if it's easier that way.

TIA

Jeff

The command is something along the lines of:

share -F nfs -o rw /path/to/share

On the remote host you'll need to mount the share with mount:

mount -F nfs nfs_host_name:/path/to/share /local/mount/point

Got it to work using the app nfsmanager. Worked great. Tivo sees the g4 no problem. Now it's time to start extract stream...

Jeff:D

Originally posted by Solaris
The command is something along the lines of:

share -F nfs -o rw /path/to/share

On the remote host you'll need to mount the share with mount:

mount -F nfs nfs_host_name:/path/to/share /local/mount/point

and, at least I'm grateful for it.

There ain't no share command (you edits /etc/exports and HUPs the mountd), and there ain't no F option in mount either (it's t)

Seems your nick does not predate Solaris 2 :)

Hey there,

I tried it with /etc/exports and HUPing the mountd - but with no luck. I'm thinking that maybe my portmapper is set-up wrong ...

Could you perhaps post a more detailed instruction for getting NFS serving up and running on Mac OS X (not the server version) ?? Or point me to a good FAQ/HowTo on the subject?

Much obliged,

C

Hey there - just found another thread that had detailed info in it (damn NetInfo (I mean that vaguely jokingly - I would like it if it were well documented ;-))) ... so I should be able to get things working.

NOTE: I did manage to get mountd to work with respect to showmount ... I started it with
'mountd /etc/exports' ... that's when I started to suspect that NetInfo was getting in the way somehow. Still - I wasn't able to actually mount the drive after having started mountd thusly.

C

Back