help setting up/fixing MySQL

mr. k

Registered
i previously had a working copy of mysql (it was a .pkg distribution from http://www.serverlogistics.com/mysql.php - i am also using it's respective preference pane), but i wiped it according to the installer guide, and tried to reinstall it. the .pkg installed fine, and i have all the mysql related files installed in their place, but from the myaql preference pane i can't get past the 'initialize mysql' stage.
the initialization goes fine, but after initialization both the set root password and the initialize buttons are deactivated. this is as it should be, but whenever i press the start button the indicator spins for about six seconds and then stops, but mysql doesnt start and i still can't set the root password.
so i drop into terminal and try to run the same process from the cli. here is what the machine shouts out at me:
Code:
[xxxxx:~] xxx% sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySQL/MySQL start
Password:
Starting MySQL Server
[xxxxx:~] xxx% Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Library/MySQL/var
030530 19:55:32  mysqld ended
fun sh*t, but anyone know whats wrong? mabye the initialization failed and i don't have the correct database in /Library/MySQL/var? i would kinda like to get this up and running :)
thanks for any help in advance

The message you get could depend on some permissions not being set correctly.

I can't be sure as I do not know what the PKG you're using does, but try to change the owner of MySQL's data directory to mysql:mysql (user:group).

Reading your post it seems like this directory would be located at "/Library/MySQL/data". If not just try to find it..

Then do:

chown -R mysql:mysql /path/to/the/data/dir

Maybe it'll help.

Good luck!

//Didde.

Back