Help: Systems Keeps Dialing to the Internet

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Okay... my grandmothers Mac (System 9.x) keeps dialing up to the Internet every 5 minutes or so, not sure what the exact interval it is. I set the system up to hang up after 5 minutes of no activity and this is working, but after it hang ups, about 5 minutes later (from what she says) it dials up again. She is annoyed and has to keep turning off the computer. :)

I am at lost of what could be causing it. She says it happens whether or not any applications are running. I looked at the system remotely (she is about 5 hours from where I live) and time sync is not setup to sync, software update is all manual, It's not setup to stay "connected" all the time.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Admin

Is AppleTalk set to be enabled only when needed? I've found that if it isn't, that the computer would try and dial the modem all the time(when I used to use OS 9 and a modem).

Worth a try, I will field ideas all day... I will try and work on her system tonight. Gota love Timbuktu.

Admin

Also, check the email program. It could be set to check for email every 5 minutes. If you disable that, the problem just might stop.

Originally posted by devonferns
Is AppleTalk set to be enabled only when needed? I've found that if it isn't, that the computer would try and dial the modem all the time(when I used to use OS 9 and a modem).

I think you're right on with this but I think the Control Panel you want is the TCP/IP control panel not the Apple Talk one. In the TCP/IP control panel, click the options button and make sure that the "enable only when needed" is checked. Sorry, not sure of the exact wording--it's been a while since I used OS 9.

Hope this helps.....

Back