Help the Mac Maya community by porting a plug

maxx10

Registered
There is a tremendously useful shader for maya to simulate ambient occlusion which our windows and linux friends are enjoying called "dirtmap" but unfortunately no one has ported it to Mac OS X even though the source code is available here and since I can't code to save my life here I am asking if some knowledged Mac programmer would like to render the Mac community extremely happy and less jealous of our cousins.

As additional info I can add that Maya is a CFM app... here is an excerpt from Maya's docs:

There are two ways of building plug-ins on Mac OS X. You can either use CodeWarrior .mcp files or use the supplied Makefile. Regardless of the method choosen, there are several additional requirements needed. CodeWarrior must be modified and some of its libraries rebuilt to match our build setup of Maya. In addition, the OpenGL SDK for Mac OS X must be downloaded and made available for building plug-ins. We do not ship the OpenGL SDK on our install CDs.

I just got Maya 5 Complete last week and have been going throught the Instant Maya 5 tutorial book. I hope someone starts writting plugins for the OS X version of Maya. Do you know if there are any Mac orientated Maya sites on the net? If not, then I guess I'll have to start learning how to code in Maya and try to help everyone out there with Maya 5 for the mac.

As far as I know there aren't any specific Mac Maya sites.
Also your best bet would be to learn Maya's Embedded Language, MEL, with that you can do some wonderful stuff and the use of plugins in Maya is mostly to make Maya work with other apps such as Bodypaint, Realflow and the likes or doing something very specific or, like in this case, particular shaders for mentalRay.
If you don't know it yet an extremely useful resource full of MELs is highend3d

Back