Help w/ Parallels & Windows XP- Please

mattnchey

Registered
Hello,
I recently purchased both parallels and a retail version of windows xp to be able to run certain programs on my mac. Everything seemed to go fine as I followed the instructions and installed parallels. I did the express installation of windows xp. Now, I don't know what to do as when I open the windows xp parallels icon, I have a black screen that says the following:
640 KB Base Memory
524288 KB Extended Memory
Boot from hard drive...
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

What is going on? Why can't I see Windows? Where do I go from here?
I thought I was pretty good with computers, but I'm lost with all this stuff. I just want to get windows running properly so that I can run my other programs.

Thanks so much!!!! I went to the link you provided and it was exactly the error I needed to fix. Something wasn't set properly in the configurations. It still took me about an hour to fix everything and even just going through the windows files, I kept getting error after error. I just kept retrying and it finally all went through. Just more confirmation to me why I switched to Mac and will never go back to windows as a main os. Yuck!
Thanks again!!

When I try to use Windows XP on a MacBook through Parallels I'm getting the following error.
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll "Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Tried to reinstall Windows but doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

The HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is one of the first files loaded by NT and its successors during boot. It's the hardware dependend part of the kernel. You have a broken Windows installation and you should try to reinstall it from the installation media.

Once you have a working Windows, do make a backup copy of your virtual disk or create a snapshot in parallels! These are safe places to return to if something goes badly wrong (as is common with Windows installations.)

Marcus

Back