Help - Why are network drives now ending in "-1"

PSUlion01

Registered
I have a few external USB hard drives on my iMac which I share to my macbooks. Previously these were named as they are on the iMac --- "1_TB", "300_GB". Recently the names are different when I connect to them from my macbooks but are as listed above on the main iMac. When I see/connect to them from the macbooks they appear as "1_TB-1" and "300_GB-1". Everything works fine, but it's just a bit strange and annoying that they just changed. Anyone know what's going on or how to switch things back?

Thanks

I have no idea.. But I'm having same issue, only that when i disconnect and reconnect again, it appears as <name>-2 and -3 and -4 and so on.. So I join you here and ask why? !

It is possible this is happening because at some point a Mac using a shared drive such as "1_TB" got disconnected, perhaps while some running program was still trying to use that drive, and later when the drive was reconnected the Mac had a dilema... The drive it now sees available has the same name as one that a running program is still thinking it's using, but this new drive with the same name just showed up anew. Is it the same drive? Best to play it safe and make a new entry for it named "1_TB-1".

Try this: Quit all programs on all remote machines that can access the master machine with the shared resources. Dismount all of the drive resources (click on the eject icons in finder) and delete any aliases to any shared drives or folders on those drives. Then power down all those machines. Next restart the master machine with the shared drives, and after it comes up start up the remotes that want to share the resources of the master.

There's a good chance this will work. If not, we'll need to go hunting for some short file with a long memory that needs to be put out of our misery.

Back