Help with a couple of issues on a G4

West Wales Celt

Registered
Recently bought a G4, running OS 10.2.8 as a 2nd puter.

2 issues:
Firstly, when I access my hotmail account I can log-in and see the e-mails but can't open them. I also get no response to delete and other options. I suspect this is because I'm running a very old version of safari. Any suggestions gratefully received...

Secondly, I want to download Flash player. When I go to the download site I can't see or activate the 'download' button.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris
Maybe try Firefox or another browser for Hotmail, older versions of Safari do not play well with MS hotmail

Flash, here is the link to the download page, use an older version for your 10.2.8-
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
Be aware that more and more websites are actively upgrading to later versions of Flash and over time you will not be able to view more and more pages. If you still cant download then try using Firefox to see the entire page for flash download.
Might be best to find a second hand copy of 10.4 Tiger for your G4.
Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I suspect you are right about the need to upgrade the operating system. I've tried in vain to download and install older versions of Firefox.

Will my g4 operate using Apple Mac OS X Tiger Version 10.4.6?

Seems I can pick one of these up reasonably cheaply.

Cheers mate

Hi Ed,
From the 'About this Mac' I get:
Mac OS X version 10.2.8.
Memory: 256 MB
Processor: 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4.

The System Profiler records:
L2 cache size: 256K
L3 cache size: 1 MB
Machine model: Power Mac G4 (version = 3.3).

Interestingly, I asked a guy selling a Power MAC G5 OS X 10.4 Tiger if it would be compatible and he said would only work on a G5. Is he wrong?

Can't see this blessed 'thanks' button but will have a closer looksee,

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris

Ok should run it fine with one small addition, you should get more memory, 256mb is bare minimum for 10.4, see specs here-
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1514
So yes he is wrong on the G5 comment, I know of slower G4's and G3's running 10.4.
He may be selling a G5 recovery disk that will only install on a G5, that is probably why he said that. You need to look for a generic retail box version.

And on my previous post-
The Following User Says Thank You to edadams For This Useful Post:
West Wales Celt (Today)

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Just in case you read this. I got an extra 1MB Ram and have installed Tiger. The old girl now does everything I need her to. Have to say these Macs are a breath of fresh air after years on windows' PCs.

Anyway, thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Back