Help with Adding more RAM

Delpezd

Registered
I have a Blue Dalmation Special Edition iMac with 2 128mb ram modules and I want to upgrade to 512mb for a little added performance under Jaguar. I know Kingston is the brand recommended by Apple and my local store has Kingston ValueRam on sale. I know this is a cheaper version of their top line ram so is it just as good to use in a mac? Also, is there any problem removing the original 128mb chip to replace it with new or does that even matter?

May I suggest you don't scrimp on the quality of the chip. Good enough is not enough. Get the high end PC 100 3.3v 168 pin SDRAM minimum 10ns. Prices on the high quality are affordable. You don't want to buy a chip that will cause you problems.

You can change both original chips if you wish. Both are removable.

I was thinking the same thing. It's probably better to go to my local Mac expert and get the ram from him. I have heard him tell other customers that he only carries the top of the line Kingston modules. It might cost more but I bet it's worth it. I have also heard about Crucial. Their prices online are pretty good. Are they a reliable company as well?

um kingston is considered value ram in the PC world...
Crucial has way better quality.. get PC133 SDRAM2-2-2 (2ns) or CL2 as its known...
a 512MB chip from crucial should be less than 100$.... other good brands are Micron and Samsung...

try www.pricewatch.com
as well..

I personally have tested Micron first party ram on task intensive systems like those used in Video or Audio production. They work better than any other I have tried. Kingston is "cheap ram". But they tend to give you trouble under heavy usage.

And OS X is pretty taxing, I should sat. So stick to higher quality ram. The guys here are not pulling your leg.

Thanks for all the information. It looks like I will get a 512mb module from Crucial. Right now they are selling it for $57. Should I leave my original 128mb module in or just use the one 512mb?

Yupz, Crucial (Micron) is one good RAM. At the current lowered price range, you should get them while they are still not that overly expensive. And why not keep the existing RAM in the machine?

i order all my ram from 18004memory.com

dunno what brand it is, but i have yet to have a prob, and none of my coworkers have had an problem either...

*shrugs*

Back