HELP with automatic shutdown

cwoody222

Registered
My automatic shutdown in Energy Saver in Preferences doesn't seem to work.

I have my screen saver set to come on in 15 minutes. I used to leave for work while downloading large files so I'd set my Display to go to sleep in 10 minutes so it wouldn't stay on all 8 hours while I was gone.

That worked fine.

Then I discovered I could tell the Mac to Shut Down at a specified time. I tried it twice. One time I disabled the Display Sleep and shut it to turn off at about a half hour from the current time. It didn't. I woke up hours later and all that had happened was the screen saver kicked in.

I tried it today with the Display Sleep left on and set to Turn Off a few hours in the future. Again, it didn't. However, the Display Sleep did work.

Both times when I checked to see what I had set the checkbox next to "Turn off" was UNchecked and the time was back to all zeros. But I KNOW I set it, saved it and even locked it for no other changes.

How come this feature doesn't work?

First, go to Disk utilty (in Utility folder) and repair permissions. If tht does not work,
Go to Home>Library>Preferences. Trash the com.apple.systempreferences.plist
Empty the trash, then go to System Preferences and rest your particulars.

I repair permissions about every week so I didn't think that was it. But I did trash the preferences file and tried again and it WORKED! :)

Thanks for the help.

Back