Help with Chicken of the VNC over the Internet

Mic1980

Registered
Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a remote connection from my Mac mini at home to my Mac mini at work. Both are running Leopard 10.5.8.

I first tested this by trying to connect from one Mac Mini at work to another Mac Mini at work. In every instance where both Macs at work were plugged in to my office's network, there was no problem with remote connection via either Screen Sharing or Chicken of the VNC.

However, when I set up Chicken of the VNC on my home Mac, I cannot connect to my Mac at work. I get the message "Connection timed out."

This is how I set up my computer at work: System Preferences>Sharing>Remote Management>Computer Settings and checked "VNC viewers can control screen with password..." and I entered a password.

I've found a number of threads that suggest I would need to change the settings on the router for my work computer. The problem is, I don't know what kind of router is used. The computer is plugged into Ethernet and if there is a router, it's not somewhere I can see it.

Additionally, my IP address on my work computer does not start with 192. It starts with 160. Could this be a problem?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

You'll need to change some setting on your works router!

Install logmein free on the work machine and you'll be able to access the machine anywhere you have an internet connection. Plus it will be much easier then opening ports on your router.

Starbuck

Back