Help with connecting a powerbook via wireless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbrhill

Registered
Sorry, I know this question has probably been asked numerous times, but this case is somewhat unique.

My laptop (macbook, Mac OSX, etc) connects to my base station via wireless perfectly. I can get online and everything. However, my roommate's laptop (powerbook G4) cannot connect at all. She can connect to other wireless spots, just not our home one. Why is this?

The base station (Airport Extreme) is set at:

IP Address: 10.0.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
The Network is set to distribute IP Addresses: using 10.0.1.1
802.11 b/g compatible

Mine is set-up as:

DCHP
IP Address: 98.234.24.40
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Router: 98.234.24.1

My roommates (the one that cannot connect):

DCHP
IP Address: 10.0.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.1.1

This all began last week, when we had comcast come in and install the internet router. One of our roommates moved out, and we had to change accounts, which means they had to come in and reinstall. The last six months, the internet (comcast) + airport extreme station have worked perfectly. After the reinstall (which was the same exact internet) there has been trouble. Comcast refuses to help, as they will not help install wireless (according to our cable guys). My roommate's Powerbook can connect to the base station, but even using the network assistance, it still cannot find the server or internet. My Macbook can connect to both the base station, and go online as well.

We have tried everything! I reset the base station, have redone the network assistance, etc. Plus mutiple connect/reconnecting the base station and router. However, since my Macbook connects, and hers does not, we have no idea what to do now!

Hopefully this information helps. I would be extremely grateful to anyone that can help us fix our problem. Thanks!

--Jbrhill

Honestly, looking at those... neither of you should be connected. Your DHCP address is all sorts of wrong. And your roommates is just on the wrong subnet.

Try setting up both with manual addresses.

(Also, I'm moving this to networking)

Try setting it up with manual IP (or DHCP with manual IP) and put them both in the 10.0.1.x range - I am similarly confused about why you are using the 98. range for your machine and why you machine thinks the router is at 98.234.24.1.

Unless perhaps that is the (weird) address of the router attached to your modem and the issue is that you are getting an IP from the modem while your friend is trying to get theirs from the airport extreme. If its a router-modem from comcast you may have to disable DHCP in that to let the airport extreme distribute addresses.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, but thanks for the responses!

I tried changing my roommates subnet mask, and it didn't help.

My Mac Address (which I am told could be my DHCP client ID) is: 001FE131F7D4. When I place this ID in the TCP/IP section of my networking, it gives the following:

IP Address: 10.0.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.1.1

This matches my roommates set-up, but doesn't allow for online access. Also the subnet mask doesn't match up with the airport extreme base.

I will try disabling the DHCP. My base station is automatically set up to distribute IP Addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back