Help With External Hard Drive

MR EKIP

Registered
Hello Im sorry if I seem like a idiot but I just bought my first mac from my brother a couple of days ago and he used it for music downloading/recording and also video editing so when he sold it to me it really didn't have that much space left on it so I when out and purchased a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive and can't seem to figure the installation out and probably how to use it correctly any help will be welcome and sorry if I'm a idiot

Hi and welcome to the forums MR EKIP!

I can't vouch for whether your ext HD is the best choice but I'll try to get you up and going.

What are you going to be using the Ext HD for? What version of Mac OS X do you have?

Some, who have Leopard 10.5 installed, use an Ext HD for Time Machine. Others use it to store a mirror of their internal HD in the event of a system crash. Then a lot of Ext HDs are used as an overflow for storage of music/photos etc.

How are you connecting the Ext HD to your mac? Firewire or USB 2.0?

I'm not 100% sure whether or not you need to install any software that may have come with the My Book drive, I'd need to check that out or someone else here could chime in with the clues if they've been down that path.

What are the full specs of your Mac? All this info helps.

Lastly, how could you be an idiot - you have a Mac and you are posting a thread asking for help here! You have taste my friend ;)

Back