Help With Firewall Settings

cameronim

Registered
iMac G5 Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
I use my computer when connected to internet for emails, skpe, messenger, yahoo and MSN, sending images on messenger, MP3 downloads and other. I run no virus protection but I have had problems with unexplained crashes,see other question under OSX systems. I would love to know what my firewall settings should be Under my firewall window in Sharing, I show all are not ticked apart from Network Time which is ticked. In the service section all selections are not ticked and under Internet, only Airport is ticked. I believe these are default settings as I had to re install OSX yesterday
My uses for my computer are basic as is my knowledge

Cameron,
Go into your Sharing/Firewall Prefs and select New.
On the drop-down port name menu, select Other.
Now give the connection a name in the bottim field, let's call this one Skype incoming, and put a port number of 54045 into both the TCP & UDP fields.
That's it; click OK and You should be able to receive incoming Skype calls.
You just set up and enabled a new Port in your Firewall.
You'll need to do this for your chat clients(I'm assuming).
You need to find out which port number(s) to use for each. Google it.

My Firewall has the following enabled:
File Sharing
Apple Remote Desktop(because I use it)
iChat Bonjour
iTunes Sharing
iPhoto Bonjour Sharing
Network Time
Printer Sharing

Under Services I have just:
File Sharing
Printer Sharing
Remote Desktop

My Internet Sharing is OFF

Also, I like LittleSnitch, which intercepts connection attempts by applications and lets you decide yes or no on them. It sets up a rule and next time you don't have to decide. It's basically a firewall monitor.

Also, search this site for sbin/fsck -y -f and try following those instructions a few times, as in my post.

http://www.apple.com/support/discussions

is awesome for help.

One more thing, find clamx at macupdate.com; Free virus checker.
Ross

Back