help with fonts

iguy1

Registered
how are fonts organized in OSX? I have downloaded linotype fontexplorer- some fonts that it detected are neither in my font list for MS Word or Apple Works.. Do they come from system or adobe or other apps? can I put a font from AppleWorks into a word document? I did not honestly realize how many fonts there are on my machine... how do I delete those that are in a foreign language never to be used? is there any risk to doing so? and finally, why do duplicates of the same font appear in fontexplorer? I might have been happier not even opening this can of worms and staying with my traditional geneva and palatino.... thanks in advance

Mike

I don't have any experience with the program you chose, but I can tell you that you don't need it. Macs come pre-installed with a program called "Font Book". This program organizes any number and variety of fonts, including the foreign ones. I would suggest uninstalling the Linotype program and opening Font Book -found in the Applications folder-. There's no real point to erasing the foreign fonts; they consume hardly any space at all. Font Book automatically allows every font you put in it to be used in any native OSX application.

Linotype FontExplorer X is not the cause of any reported problem. This app it sort of like iTunes for fonts in that it is a specialized font purchasing browser as well as a font organizer.

Fonts are stored in /Library/Fonts/, ~/Library/Fonts/, and /System Folder/Fonts/. FontBook and Linotype FontExplorer X are both very useful, but neither is necessary. Either app will find and manage fonts stored anywhere. I prefer to manage my fonts manually, but I use both apps to check my fonts and cross-check each other.

As for deleting fonts, I really don't see the point. We encounter numerous languages and scripts on the web. I much prefer to view that Japanese or Indian site as intended rather than the jumbled mess when viewed in the browser's default Latin font. The only reason to delete fonts is to save space when you need the space.

Back