Help with Mail

A_WIN_REFUGEE

Registered
I am very happy to be here. Been using computers since 1984 first in business and since 1998 about 4 hours a day 24/7/52. I have had my MAC PRO for 4 days and it is awesome, it is by far the best computer I ever had or worked on. My last was a Alienware $5,000 laptop. My MAC is 10+ the 7700 with the top of the line everything a 5.

Anyway, I have two problems at the moment:

I want to use MAIL for all my accounts. I am use to AOL and the best thing about it is its email composing element. Page color, textures, smilys and a bunch more options to put in your message.
How can I make MAIL do all that?

Secondly, I used the AOL service assistent, the headless guy with the tux?
It set up the account in MAIL, but only moved six email addresses of my 100 or so. This is almost a deal breaker for using mail.
Help please.

It also only moved my sent folder, but I made all my "old mail" new and then it was recieved.

Thannks, Steve

Just a point to note - in case you aren't aware. If you add features such as background texture, smilies and coloured text, your mail will be sent in the form of an HTML web page with attached image files. This is fine for sending to friends who like this "eye candy" (but it will eat up your monthly bandwidth).

If you are emailing strangers or businesses, you should send plain text messages. Many people (including me) will reject any message that contains attachments. Not because of any risk of viruses but because I don't want my bandwidth ration used up by unnecessary frills or my Hard Drive filled with crap. The message won't even reach my computer if it's more than 100k in size.

AOL is popularly known as "Assoles On Line". It tends to be used by newbies (newcomers to the Internet). Spammers target newcomers so AOL has developed lots of protective measures to ensure that they don't receive unwanted mail (and some wanted mail, too).

So AOL "works in mysterious ways". It places some messages into a "spam" folder. Newbies to AOL don't even know that folder exists and, as it gets emptied after a week, they lose many messages forever. If they have their spam settings incorrect (or don't know they exist) then they could lose a lot of messages that they'd prefer to receive.

AOL software can also interfere with the normal working of other software so you might find that Mail (never the most reliable anyway) develops unexpected "glitches" which it translates (confusingly) as "Password errors".

All you say makes sense, I've heard it all before and know its true.
I've used AOL just for a email address for years. I've had it since 93 or 4 and just like being "loyal" to Windows until last week,....its the same kind of thing.
Like going on a diet, I just have to make the decision to start the process of lettting the 200+ businesses, friends, family etc...I've a new email address.
wish there was a easy way.
But hey thanks for your thoughts.

Aloha,
Steve

Back