help with network-will this work??

tm

Registered
I have a question about an idea I have to try to help my parents connect 2 computers to the internet.
They just purchased a new imac g5 with built-in airport extreme. The old g3/233 biege box (os9.2.x) has been moved upstairs. They have cable high speed coming into the room with the imac. From the cable modem I have it connected to a wired router, then to the imac. I know I could share the connection with ethernet cable (which is how I transfered her files over before moving the old computer upstairs). But there is no way to run the ethernet cable discreetly to that upstairs room.

So my idea was could I run the new imac as an airport base station, then have an airport express (or other wireless router?) upstairs that the old g3 could then connect to the ethernet port.

Would this work? am I missing something? I don't want to spend their money on something unless I know it will work.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

You are close...

The problem is that you need a wireless card in the G3. Then have a base station near the iMac. You can use a linksys wireless access point to recieve from the G3. And you iMac can connect to it as well..

However, I am not sure if there is such a thing as a wireless card for that G3.

The G3 is pre airport so I do not believe there is a card for it! (unless someone has some different info for me?). This is the reason I was trying to be creative with the setup. I wanted to know if connecting to an express would make the g3 see backwards to the base station?

It all depends on the configuration options that are available on the airport base station - by default it's going to want its default route to be out the wired interface; you're trying to point its default route to an address on the wireless interface.

If you get a LinkSys WRT54G, you should be able to do it. The included firmware may not have the option available; however, the thing runs Linux, and there are about a dozen independently developed Linux firmware versions available - one of them is bound to have the right configuration options.

Back