Help with Safari

Lurch104

Registered
Hello,

I needed to replace my desktop PC, and decided to give Mac a try. I ended up with the new iMac G5 17". So far I like it, but as a long time Windows user, I am a bit confused by some things (the placement of the menu bar for apps, x'ing out only closes a window, etc...) but for the most part I am slugging through it.

I have two problems with Safari that I cannot figure out. 1) searching in a web page for certain words (Explorer and Firefox = ctrl F) can Mac do this? I downloaded Firefox for mac and it wouldn't work. 2) Auto completing web addresses (type "google" ctrl & Enter brings up www.google.com). Are these functions available on Mac? I know it seems like a small thing, but it is driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Firstly it's Apple 'F' to search a web page not Control 'F'. Make sure the browser window in active or you'll open Find on the desktop.
Try installing Firefox again, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
Auto complete works in all browsers, start typing an address you have already visited in that particular browser and it will display a list of site names starting with whatever letters you type, then double click the site name to load.

APPLE f...I see! I thought it would be something simple like that.

As for the auto-complete. I meant for a new website instead of typing www.google.com , on a pc you type google and press ctrl & enter. The browser fills in the www.com portion of the web address.

I think he meant ctlr-f didn't work in Firefox, not that Firefox didn't work at all.

Basically, all ctlr-something shortcuts are Cmd (Apple) and the key. For example, you copy things by Cmd-C, paste things by Cmd-V.

Autocomplete should be 'in'. If I enter "google" in the URL bar, it completes to www.google.com after a very short time.

Btw.: I'd look into what "Sogudi" has to offer. You can create your own shortcuts with it. For example, I've set it up so that "trailer star wars" looks for trailers of "star wars" on Apple's movie trailer site.

And: Welcome to Macintosh!

Typing the address without the www. and the .com will enter them once you hit the <return> key. My issues when I switched to Mac were all due to overthinking. If you keep it simple, the Mac will do the rest. Hitting "export to iDVD" in iMovie will open iDVD and all you need to do is hit "burn". I was trying to lay out all the files and messed up my first DVD. It was all so simple.

Thank you for all of the replies. The Apple key was the solution. I figured it out last night while cutting and pasting. It seems that every roadblock I run into with the Mac is a result of my windows overthinking.

Auto-fill in Safari also needs to be turned on in Safari Preferences for this to work. Not sure if the default is on or off, but check it to be sure.

Back