Help!!

iMan

?¿?
I'm hoping you guys can help me out a bit.
I just bought O'Reillys book on C++ programming called "Practical C++ Programming". The thing is this book isn't written with mac in mind and in the beginning it gives an easy example on how to program a simple application called "Hallo" but is only describes how to do it with some programms for Windows/dos and unix; and they are all abit different on how to write it in the different compilers.
What do I need for the mac (OS X or OS 9)? I have a developer cd from Dec 2001.
How do I go about to start out using this book? Did I get the wrong book?
I know that OS X is Unix but I would really appreciate some help to get me started. I'm totaly new to programming and I feel a bit uncertain where to start.
I also bought an O'Reilly book on Carbon and a nother on java.
I heard that the O'rielly books are good, is that true?

Exuse my ignorance and thanks to all out there for your help it will be greatly appreciated.

Viktor

You should be able to practically do everything the book tells you to using Apple's developer tools, but some things may be different and you'll have to figure them out. I'm not much help on that question, but...

...The O'rielly books are really good starters! I used one for programming my Palm pilot, and it helped a lot! I've ran through some others on Java and Cocoa programming, and from the looks of it they could be extremely helpful!

Just my opinion.

Thanks Trip.
I guess I have to figure out the PB program now..:p

Any one out there that have used O'Reillys book with Project Builder??

I've never seen the book myself, but if it discusses C++ on Unix, odds are you can use PB just fine with it by building a C++ Tool.

Hey dude, just type your code into a text file with a .cpp extension.

Then in the command line (terminal.app) you compile it with:

Code:
c++ -o compiledName filename.cpp

c++ is the program to compile the code. The -o and the file after that specify the app name when done. If you just go c++ filename.cpp your file will be named a.out. This just helps a little later when you change it's binary name. And of coarse, the filename.cpp is your c++ source file.

I learned C++ programming on OS X, and was the only one in class who did on this platform. But trust me, it's great and you can do everything until they start wanting you to build GUI apps for Witnels.

-Jim

I've used it once, and it didn't really work for me. But then again I was making apps that responded to user input. If you're just doing something that spits info out or does something but doesn't take user input while it's running (CIN) you'll be fine. ProjectBuilder really isn't that great for CLI apps...

-Jim

Back