Help

jluchies

Registered
I am upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4 server on a headless machine for the first time ever. I stuck the CD in the server machine (bad idea) and now cannot connect to it, and cannot get it out.

a. How do I get it out?

b. How do I continue installing the software

Josh

Is this on an Xserve G5?

Use front panel mode to eject the disk or boot off of it:

Shut the machine down, using the power button if need be. When off, start it back up and hold down the system identifier button on the front (the triangle with the ! in it). Continue holding it down until you see the CPU indicator light begin to light up back and forth, like KIT from knight rider.

The first light on the bottom row should be lit; this should be the light on the far right of the row. Hold down the system identifier button again until the top row fills up and all lights are on. This will cause the CD media to be ejected from the CD/DVD drive. At this time, you can either insert the media again for it to boot off of it, or push the power button again to shut down.

If you continue to boot, you can use Server Assistant to connect to the remote server and begin installation, or the command line, of course. :)

Michael

Back