Help!!!!

aky

Registered
I have a G4 mac which I have used to convert over 3,500 original cds to mp3 format (took me ages to do). Which has resulted in using over 40gb of had disk space.

Not only would I like to store my mp3's on my newly bought external hard drive. But I would like to be a ble to play my mp3's on a Windows Operating System. My mac and windows knowledge is limited.:confused:

Has anyone done something similar before? A simple step by step guide would be appreciated
Aky

right, first off, using Disk Utility, format your new external drive as Fat 32 (MS-DOS). this will allow you to both read and write to it from both windows and mac environments (and just about any other modern os).

then, in Finder, look in your Music folder for 'iTunes Music'. copy this folder over onto the newly formatted external hardrive. this will take some time, don't worry.

now, in your itunes, go into iTUnes > Preferences, in the menu, and click the 'Advanced' tab. here, you want to change your iTunes directory to your new one. make sure that the directory is the folder that directly contains all the folders named by artists.

now, all your music is, by default, on the external harddrive, it is now treated as your itunes library. if you are satisfied, you can delete your old directory for music, freeing 40gb on your main drive.

FAT32 can be read by both, but is not very modern way of doing things. Spotlight, for exmaple, can't index this drive, so it will search the drive relatively slowly.

If there is a higher rank than Lt Major . Them you should be promoted this worked a treat. Thank you LT Mjor Burns.

Aky
P.S. I salute u.

Back