Helper Apps

OK, this is one thing about X that bugs me. Under 9, we could add, delete, edit entries in the internet preferences for helper apps. under x, we can't. first of all i couldnt have a custom helper, like for hotline. it would just show page in omniweb saying it couldnt handle the protocol, and there was no plugin for it. then, hotline:// links started opening in frogblast. i found the part where it's all specified in the internetconfig.plist file. (i swear it didnt used to be there. maybe part of 10.1.4?) but the values for each item are binary. or so it says. but they aren't a whole heap of 1s and 0s, which binary is supposed to be. it looks more like hex. anyways. point is i cant edit it. i DONT want to use frogblast for hotline anymore damnit. why does apple specify the helpers for stuff, and obviously allow other apps to set themselves as the registered helper for a certain app, but not let US, the users change, add, or delete helper settings...

any thoughts on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.

QP

what is the file where these things are stored? i d like to take a look too.

if it is binary, then give hexedit a try. it can edit binary data (the distinction between binary and hex data is superficial)

it s ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.pplist, right?

well i looked at it, with PropertyListEditor and with HexEdit, and i got nowhere. i don t know how to read thhose data.

Okay, opening my internetconfig.plist file with PropertyList Editor, it looks like it's just showing the same data that appears in IE's Helper Apps preferences. So it seems logical that you could edit the settings right there (in IE).

Back