here I go apple!

jimmyxx

Registered
hey everyone, im actually on holiday now in the gran canaria! but i´ve been considering moving to the apple desktop for quite some time now! I´m a web developer and currently use a debain linux machine.

I was looking into getting a powerbook which I thought could replace my home-desktop and be used as a secondry machine at work. I was having trouble parting with my money as I wasnt sure if it would annoy me having a laptop as a full time desktop at home. I took my partner into an apple store just before I came on holiday and they quite sensibley pointed out why dont i get an imac G5?

Since they said that its been playing on my mind and it really makes sence! I think i could loose the portability as some of the bonuses of having the g5 imac are stunning! I would be looking at getting the 20" with proberly 1 or 2 gig ram, and i´d get the wireless setup upgrade too.

I have a few questions before I hit the buy button as im such an apple newbie:

will the 2gig with 1or2 gig ram be powerful enough for me? Im quite a poweruser and tend to have a lot going on with my computer while i work, webserver running quite sophisticated GIS systems, music, browsers, development envirment etc etc.

What is the development enviroment like for web developers using mostly PHP? I currently use Quanta on the mac and the few times I use my windows notebook I use macromedia Homesite.

Should I be looking at the powermac? the thing that puts me off this is I love the idea of the single unit - its cheap and easy.

When is the G6 ETA? I read about the x86 apple machines? should I hold out for one of these?

Thanks for any responces! looking forward to getting invloved with this forum once I get my new shiney apple machine!

The iMac is a nice machine. The downside is that the computer gets older much more quickly than the display - and you can't re-use the display with another computer. I often urge people to rather buy a 20" Apple (or whatever maker, actually, if it's good) display along with a Mac mini. Just as sexy, a little less powerful, but worth more. You can later simply replace the Mac mini and keep the good keyboard and mouse as well as the nice display: Means a much better upgrade price.

I personally am working in several offices and while on the road, so a Powerbook suits me best. I have an external display at home, too for an extended desktop experience.

A G6 probably will never come. Apple's next move is to newer G4 and G5 processors, then on to intel. That transition will only _start_ in June 2006, though, and only at the end of 2007 will the last Mac model move from G4/G5 to intel. So right now's a good time to buy a PowerPC Mac - be it a portable or a desktop Mac.

1 or 2 GB of RAM will work fine, btw.

will the 2gig with 1or2 gig ram be powerful enough for me? Im quite a poweruser and tend to have a lot going on with my computer while i work, webserver running quite sophisticated GIS systems, music, browsers, development envirment etc etc.

This is one point where I'd say that you might be better off with an iMac, or if you can afford it, a PowerMac ... Even if it means going for a cheaper, third party display. Get the Mac with the standard RAM and buy your RAM from third-party companies that can usually do a much better deal.

Jugding by your interests and what you want to do, I think you'd outgrow a Mac Mini in no time at all. The Mac Mini just isn't powerful enough for a power-user such as yourself.

The iMac might well serve you nicely provided you are willing to budget for updating to something new in a couple of years.

Should I be looking at the powermac? the thing that puts me off this is I love the idea of the single unit - its cheap and easy.

I would look at it ... keep in mind that if you outgrow your machine in a couple of years, an iMac or Mac Mini will require you to add on EXTERNAL drives using USB or Firewire. The PowerMac will allow you to add / expand the internal drives. That means you still stay pretty close to the all-in-one convenience.

When is the G6 ETA? I read about the x86 apple machines? should I hold out for one of these?

G6: Not likely to happen at all now, really.

x86: Late 2006 should see the first of these machines introduced. It'll be well into 2007 before they really start to make any impact, though. I wouldn't bother waiting, as you'll be waiting a long time.

my friend has just bought a standard 2ghz 20" imac. it's amazing. it really is very, very nice, and so simple with the complete lack of cables. i would definately reccommend at least a gb of ram to get the OS running smoothly though, and possibly the extra gb on top of that (2gb in total) depending on poweruserishness (a new word).

i use illustrator and potatochop a lot, so i'm thinking of doubling my ram just to get that extra kick out of it.

PowerMac is a lot of money (an extra grand) for really not that much gain. an extra processor, and expandability i probably will never use fully...

Thanks for the comments, all really usefull, I´m gonna check out the powermac prices with a display (apple or third party) and see if I can afford that setup. But judging from whats been said here it sounds like I will be fine with the 20" imac!

Thank you all soo much for your help!

I really dont to re-iterate what everyone else has said. However its pretty simple. It really depends on what you want. Do you want a all-in-one solution, with no desk clutter? Well get a iMac. Or would you like a powermunching machine with total expandability? Then get a PowerMac.

If your a webdeveloper (working in dreamweaver or a text application), nothing will slow you down even working on a slow 500mhz G4. The only thing that will is windows open and going through them with expose'. I really don't know what would define a poweruser as, but i do just fine with my eMac. Sure its not a PowerMac G5, but it does the job and doesn't slow down my work flow that much.

The iMac and PowerMac now-days are very close in performance, as well as Graphic Cards. All the difference is, is that a PowerMac is dual and goes up to speeds of 2.7 Ghz. A Dual mac would be awesome, ecspecially if you want to dedicate a cpu to a certain purpose or something.

If you get an iMac, if you can afford it; get the 2GB. It would be such a dream machine with total simplicity.

If you get a PowerMac, get probly 1-2GB of ram. That woudl be even better.

Sorry it was long, but thats my opinion hope it helps and goodluck.

"A Dual mac would be awesome, ecspecially if you want to dedicate a cpu to a certain purpose or something." - You can't do that. The system chooses itself as long as apps are multithreaded and tries to do what's best for your work, using both processors.

Oh okay i thought you could somehow. How i knew you would correct me somehow fryke. Anyways.

Sounds like you are getting great advice. If you are a power user, the Imac or Mini, you would quickly outgrow the technology. The PowerMac offers much more flexibility and options for upgrades at a later time.
Glad to see you consider Macintosh, you will love it. You will find the forum and its user helpful.

Back