Here's my beef...

Javintosh

Meember
I downloaded the MouseZoom prefPane. I try to drop the file into the /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder.

I got an error message that I cannot do this. Instead, I have to drop to the command line to add a prefPane file into the correct folder. Is there something wrong with my system or is this expected behavior?

Javier
PS>My account is the primary account on this system and I want this preference panel available to all accounts on this machine.

What are the permissions on that directory? You probably need root to copy the file to there.

When you were in the command line did you have to su (or even better sudo) to root to copy the file? If you didn't then im not sure whats going on because your user should have the same permissions in the finder as they do in the shell.

you may try to install the pane to /Local/Libary/

/System probably has only root access wheras /Local should be open to any administrator

LordOphidian,

Yes, I had to type sudo from the command line to get that to work.

I think the point is that I something like adding a prefPanel or a Screensaver so that they are available to all users should not require me to go down to the command line. This does not seem right and I was wondering if this was the behavior other people were seeing.

At a minimum, the finder should prompt for the root password or maybe there is another way of making a prefPanel or a ScreenSaver module available to all users. Is there?

fragz,
I could not find a directory named "Local." If you mean the library directory under my username, that will not work because other users would not see the prefPanel unless I added it to their Library folder.

Javintosh

Originally posted by Javintosh

Yes, I had to type sudo from the command line to get that to work.

I think the point is that I something like adding a prefPanel or a Screensaver so that they are available to all users should not require me to go down to the command line. This does not seem right and I was wondering if this was the behavior other people were seeing.

At a minimum, the finder should prompt for the root password or maybe there is another way of making a prefPanel or a ScreenSaver module available to all users. Is there?

I agree that the finder should prompt for the admin password again and let you copy the files into the directory, but so far Apple hasn't done this.

Also, im not sure but what about under /Library ? I am not at my OS X box right now so I can't be sure but if there is a /Library/PreferencePanels/ or similar directory under there, you could try putting them in there. I think the admin has write privileges to /Library so you should beable to copy it there.

I put the prefPanel in Library/preferencePanels and that worked just fine. I can add and delete items from there from the GUI without problems.

The only problem that I ran into is that Snard won't list the prefPanel on its Preferences Submenu.

Thanks,
javintosh

I realize that now. The readme said to put it in /System/Library/PreferencePanes.

I ended up putting it in the System folder because I wanted the prefPane to show up on Snard's Preferences submenu.

Back