Hey, when are we gonna see the AMS top 40?

Ugg

Registered
I think it would be cool to see a chart listing Apple's best sellers. It would, I'm sure be radically different than mainstream charts but it would still be interesting to see.

Perhaps you already know that when viewing an album, it does show a list of top downloads for that particular album. It would be nice to see an overall most popular downloads as you described.

Yep, they do list the most popular downloads and I think they even have an overall top 100 but it would be nice to see what other mac owners are buying.

Personally, I bought both of Jack Johnson's albums. I'd never heard of him before the AMS. His music is also one of the most downloaded according to Apple. Maybe this is not only a solution to the piracy dilemna but also the beginning of the end of corporate domination of the airwaves. There are a lot of great artists out there that aren't able to get the exposure they deserve.

Hmm... Let's call it iTMS. AMS and ITMS don't make me think of the iTunes Music Store (yet). I think the idea of an iTMS Top 40 would be great.

Maybe I'm missing something. On the right hand side of the screen isn't there both a top 10 songs and a top 10 album download, with links to more top songs and albums?

Can't wait for this to go international. Cmon Steve, make that a WWDC surprise for us.

I read somewhere that Apple Europe only started negotiating licenses after the US launch so unfortunately i think we won't have the music store for a while yet.

Yea, I saw that as well. I obviously don't understand the intricacies of this kind of negotiation, since Steve was at it for over a year for the US launch. Thought he might have done both together.

It would be nice to see a policy change at Apple that embraces the other 50% of their customers at the same time as the USA customers, especially for downloadable services.

Then he could have been presenting figures twice as high (and earning twice as much)!!

Originally posted by Ugg
Personally, I bought both of Jack Johnson's albums. I'd never heard of him before the AMS. His music is also one of the most downloaded according to Apple. Maybe this is not only a solution to the piracy dilemna but also the beginning of the end of corporate domination of the airwaves. There are a lot of great artists out there that aren't able to get the exposure they deserve.

Wow, I don't mean to sound condescending, but I'm surprised. I tune in to Star 98.7 FM (Los Angeles/ Orange County based radio station) and Jack Johnson songs are on all the time.

Where are you, that you don't get to hear Jack Johnson? Somewhere in Europe? If so, are you just getting our crappy American music, like the Backsync Boys and such?

On behalf of all Americans, I apologize for the Backsync Boys.... even though the UK still hasn't apologized for The Spice Girls ;)

Originally posted by monktus
I read somewhere that Apple Europe only started negotiating licenses after the US launch so unfortunately i think we won't have the music store for a while yet.

You know what would be REALLY cool? If it became one big, giant, international music store! I'd love to be able to buy music from Germany, the UK, Greece, France, whatever... even though I don't know the languages, I still think it would be neat.... no pricey "imports" on amazon or whatever.

Originally posted by adambyte
Wow, I don't mean to sound condescending, but I'm surprised. I tune in to Star 98.7 FM (Los Angeles/ Orange County based radio station) and Jack Johnson songs are on all the time.

Where are you, that you don't get to hear Jack Johnson? Somewhere in Europe? If so, are you just getting our crappy American music, like the Backsync Boys and such?

I actually live in extreme Northern California, where the selection is mediocre at best. Mostly though, I don't listen to radio, except NPR, BBC and a few Euro shoutcast stations. Radio is too caught up with mindless jockey chatter. I want a new model for radio and I think shoutcast is a great start.

Actually, in Yrup, they tend to choose a fascinating selection of American music. Check out the best sell lists at this place

I agree with you on being able to buy music from around the world. There is a group in The Slovak Republic called IMT Smile that I really like. I could get their album thru amazon.de, but it would end up costing me about $30. For that, I could buy all three of their albums that I don't already have if it was available at the iTMS.

The biggest proponent of downloads outside the US is that the end users are not under US jurisdiction. There is no way to enforce the DRM of the files.
OTOH, most of these labels have subdivisions outside of the US. I wonder if they have to strike the same deal with them as they did their parent companies.

Back