Hi, What is better Mac OS Extended or Unix File System??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowarrior

Registered
I've just reformated my Hard drive to get rid of Mac os 9 and I had two choices of file system: Mac Os Extended and Unix File System. I choosed Unix Because iI read somewhere that one of the improvement pn Os X is because it's based on Unix, and There's a reason why they put that choice. I just wanna know if i've made the right choice , if i did why is that???

Thanx A lot

Generally, standard mac formatting (HFS+) is much faster than UFS. OS X does use unix but it was desinged to run best on a HFS+ volume.

Isthere any way that i can revert to Mac os extended without having to reformat? 'Cause when i put the X installation cd it automaticaly try to start Os 9, but i had previously erased it and i don't have the installation cd either. Please is there a way to convert it like you can do on windows or am i gonna be marginalized? I've tried to installed several program and all of them failed to install since i have changed the file system. Help me please :(

During my brief research of your followup question, I was unable to find anything from Apple, MacFixIt or Google that might prove a easy solution for you.

With that, I open this question back up for other volunteers who might know a solution, but at this time, I see none.

The real advantage to running UFS is that you get a "real" unix file system. You get security on individual files, case sensitive files, etc. You will not get this on HFS+, although HFS+ will run faster and be more compatible with your Mac programs. I imagine, some day down the road, things will change, but for now, especially during the transition, I recommend sticking with HFS+.

One thing I learned... that wasn't apparent to me, that the File System controls security of files... and not the OS... never really thought about it in all honesty.

Admin

As you point out, there is not really a tool available which does the same thing as Partition Magic will do on windows.

even PM has some limitations.

You can convert HFS to HFS+ with disk warrior, etc.

I would say that this is not strictly impossible, but complicated.

You may run OSX on UFS mostly problem free until.. some carbon app doesn't understand a looong file name/path.

Some apps have warnings that they shouldn't be used on that file system.

If you have a second partition which is HFS+ you can keep all of that running there.

At the same time, when you read the apple article and some other literature, you will find that classic is completely incompatible, and the UFS partition is not visible from OS9.x.

Those are certainly drawbacks.

I have made a small scratch UFS partition and do some compiling there when there are naming problems (capitalization).

Anyway, for now this seems to be the only answer:

Get yourself a copy of that boot CD ASAP

In General,

Safe system practice is to <b>ALWAYS</b> have an alternative boot environment.

This can take the form of MacOS 9.x
any other bootable external drives
CD, or whatever.

otherwise, you can never hope to recover from a disaster.

Until the disaster recovery tools become widely available for UFS, the safe way would be to follow the instructions on the install CD.

when you **know** what you are doing, feel free to do what you want.

Everyone who KNOWS always reads the Installation instructions instead of guessing.

ADMIN, this is back to you.......

I solved my problem, i just had to reboot holding the C-key and I booted from the cd-drive and everything worked smoothly. Sorry guys to have wasted your time but i am new to mac and i am realy tryin' to get into it. Now I know

Originally posted by Shadowarrior
I solved my problem, i just had to reboot holding the C-key and I booted from the cd-drive and everything worked smoothly. Sorry guys to have wasted your time but i am new to mac and i am realy tryin' to get into it. Now I know

Yeah I read about it on the other thread.

We never understood the issue of "booting into 9" Anyway, this is an important issue.

Which **is** better ::::

always depends on what you are trying to do.

And don't worry about being new to mac. (or anything else).

Always pay attention to the details and if you don't get it right.....well you know the rest....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back