Registered
Just a quick note to say Hi!

Got my first MAC last weekend, hence popping in here. :D

Cheers, Alex

Congratulations! I have a MAC as well!

Here is a picture of it...

00:90:4B:4D:64:17

Of course, that's not the MAC of my Mac, but it's a MAC alright! ::ha::

(Just kidding around :D ....welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Mac. Which model did you buy?)

LOL :D

Ok.. I got the new Mac Mini Intel Core Duo (don't stone me...!)
Been admin'ing Solaris / AIX for quite some time now, so been playing in a terminal under OSX :D

Nothing wrong with the Core Duo mini. It's actually a nice little box. :)

I have to stop by the Apple Store to see how well it performs. I was actually quite impressed with the G4 mini last year when I was test driving it at the Apple Store, so I'm sure I'll be blown away with the Core Duo Mac mini. :D

Good luck with the RHCE, btw. :)

10.4.6 corrupted the kernel on it (day 2 of ownership) - couldnt even boot single user (I have the 'missing manual' which helped trouble shoot) - so already done a complete reinstall/reconfig - LOL :D

Thanks re RHCE - in the middle of apache/squid at the mow.. Zzzzz.. ;)

HahaAHH

Yeah sometimes it's better to just download the Como Updater to avoid problems like that. What I usually do is the following when I update:

1. Unplug everything except for the keyboard and the mouse.
2. Repair permissions.
3. Run the Combo Updater.
4. Wait until it finally gives me the login prompt (ignore what might seem weird during the update, especially this one which reboots the Mac twice).
5. After the update is completed, I login and repair permissions again.

Sometimes I even go as far as booting into Single User Mode and doing a disk repair before and after the update.

Regarding RHCE, are you in the middle of a training right now?

nixgeek said:
HahaAHH

Yeah sometimes it's better to just download the Como Updater to avoid problems like that. What I usually do is the following when I update:

1. Unplug everything except for the keyboard and the mouse.
2. Repair permissions.
3. Run the Combo Updater.
4. Wait until it finally gives me the login prompt (ignore what might seem weird during the update, especially this one which reboots the Mac twice).
5. After the update is completed, I login and repair permissions again.

Sometimes I even go as far as booting into Single User Mode and doing a disk repair before and after the update.

Tried the disk repairs n everything - ultimately the kernel just kept panic'ing even in single user... fortunately I hadnt put any data on the system, so nothing was lost...

Really like Front Row - starting transfering my iTunes library to the MAC now :)

Regarding RHCE, are you in the middle of a training right now?

Err... yeah 4 day rapid track course, then the exam on Friday - had already done the lab before the instructor got to it, so was checking out the MAC forums ... lol :D Been using RHEL since late 2004 on n off, sort of basic admin level. Guess I should concentrate on my course now ... ;)

LOL....Pay attention1!!!onewon ::ha::

I've played around with Front Row on an Intel iMac that I setup for someone, and I was very impressed with it (as were the owners ;)).

Actually, I've been curious to learn about NFS but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it at the moment. I've been looking online for documentation and have found it, but I find myself once again unable to dedicate the time for it. :rolleyes:

It is quite basic stuff, but useful - you best make time! :D
Just blitz'd NFS, SAMBA and VSFTPD..........

Hi, DrEvil and welcome to MacOSX.com. Enjoy!

All this techy system stuff is way over my head. Sounds like you're the sort of person who should be a volunteer tech! I don't do the system stuff, myself, but if ever you have a problem with yer QuarkXPress, you know where to come! :D

BF2, huh? I'm a CoD man, myself…

…not to mention being a proud Northerner. :p

:D

CaptainQuark said:
Hi, DrEvil and welcome to MacOSX.com. Enjoy!

All this techy system stuff is way over my head. Sounds like you're the sort of person who should be a volunteer tech! I don't do the system stuff, myself, but if ever you have a problem with yer QuarkXPress, you know where to come! :D

BF2, huh? I'm a CoD man, myself…

…not to mention being a proud Northerner. :p

:D

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Been busy hookin' the Mac Mini up to my TV and messing around with front row and iTunes... go some Harmon Kardon Soundsticks attached to it, sounds great :D

As for tech side, only to happy to help when I can - been working with Solaris/SunOS since '92, AIX since 2001 and dabbled in HP-UX / IRIX over the years. Will try and share experiences/knowledge where and when possible :D

As for CoD, good game, but I just can't stop playin' BF2!! :D :D
We (me and some work colleagues admin the SNAFU_UK server).

Cheers, Alex

Back