Hibernate alternative?

pl_bear

Registered
One of the things I miss from Windows is the ability "Hibernate".

I can't find an equivalent option on the Mac - "Sleep" on the Mac is like "Standby" on Windows and still uses battery.

Does anyone know of a way to save the state of the machine to disk (so it isn't using battery) then restore it to exactly where I was later (say a few days later)?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Unless you let a PB or iBook sleep for more than a couple of days, that is. Hardly ever happens for me...

Does hibernate even work on PCs? I've heard horror stories about PC notebooks not even coming up from hibernate all the time. Hardly something you can trust, if that's the case.

We were told in our office to never hibernate our PCS. My understanding is, especially on networked machines, it caused more problems than solved, and often caused a reboot, and some network settings failed to configure. Essential we had two choices, the PCs were either on, or off.

PL_Bear, if I were you, just stick with the sleep option. It works wonderfully.

I've heard many horror stories of notebooks hibernating and never waking up again. No idea what those users did to cause it, but if there is a remote chance of such a thing occurring, it sounds like you're better off without it.

Apple's Safe Sleep (a feature on all the new Intel Macs, and a quiet feature of some of the previous laptops, IIRC), is fine at Safe Sleep (or Hibernate).

One important consideration, always, is that you don't perform the safe sleep (or Hibernate in Windows) while you're connected to any remote devices, or are performing some sort of processing task.

texanpenguin said:
One important consideration, always, is that you don't perform the safe sleep (or Hibernate in Windows) while you're connected to any remote devices, or are performing some sort of processing task.

Safe Sleep isn't an equal to Hibernate. It simply does the same routine so that if your machine /does/ lose power, you can restore the system back to where it was before you put it to sleep. It isn't something you activate yourself, just something that 'happens'.

I have never had any problems with hibernate on my Acer laptop. I actually really like it because if I need to switch batteries I can just hibernate, pop the battery out and load it back up. It is a nice feature to have. My laptop actually will sleep then hibernate if it has been sleeping too long... it freaked me out the first time it did it because it was sleeping then all of a sudden the fan kicked on.

I have actually had more problems with sleeping on my G5 than I have with hibernate on my PC.

I read this thread expecting a discussion about a different kind of hibernate but I guess it wouldn't have really fit in this forum anyways.

Back