Hidden Files

johnbarrett

Registered
PLEASE HELP:(
I have a USB flash drive that has filled up with hidden files, and they won't go away.I have tried the terminal, and downlaoded 2 file systems(compost, and file buddy), which has not worked.

Can somebody please explain to me how to get rid of hidden files??

Thanks,
John Barrett

'I have a USB flash drive that has filled up with hidden files' - the names of the hidden files?, the format of the USB (thumb) flash, the manufacturer and model number of the USB flash drive?, where do you believe the hidden files originated?

ecirtap said:
Shouldn't those files be gone for good if you format the USB flash drive?

If you want to prevent hidden files from being created on the drive, the System Preference Pane BLUE HARVEST is pretty handy.
You can also use BlueHarvest to remove those files. Drag the USB Flash Drive onto BlueHarvest's "Cleaner" and they'll be removed.

You can also use Terminal. Negotiate your way to that drive, each of these commands (in red) is followed with a return.

cd /
cd Volumes
ls -a

the available disks will be displayed, then

cd (your USB Drive name)

ls -a (just to see what's there, you'll see a bunch of ._xxx.xxx files)

then

rm ._*.*

and they should be gone. Check with another

ls -a

I do this frequently because I use web servers via WebDAV and some operations (finder mostly) create the Apple Double files on the server where they're useless clutter. BlueHarvest prevents them from being copied but if I do a save when operating on a file via the Finder dialogs (as opposed to using Transmit or Interarchy for editing) they'll be created on the server.

I mentioned this to Ross Tullock (the BlueHarvest author) and he said a future version of BlueHarvest may prevent the creation of the Apple Double files on saves.

Hello ecirtap,barhar,and simbalala
Thank you so much for all your help`-`

It worked`-`
Took a while to see as I was writing a depressing message saying it did not work but it did. I think the Blue Harvest was the trick, I tried the terminal too. I am happy that this is fixed thanks`-`

I am going to give a shout out to the blue harvest people to thank them`-`

Thanks so much`-`
John

Back