hidden files

27 houdini's

guy with great hairdo
does OS x craete hidden files and if so, how can i make them visible?

Photoshop crashed during a batch procedure on a file called thumbs.db which i cannot find in the folder photshop was working in. Maybe it was windoze residue because the folder was transferred from a PeeSee

Yes, there are hidden files and folders. You have access to those using gotto folder (shift apple G). I know you can access and see many hidden folders over the terminal as well, but have no clue how to make them visible over the finder :(

If you install TinkerTool, it will enable you to set the Finder to "see" hidden files.

You can download it from VersionTracker.

Or there are other shareware products which will perform similar functions (such as "Invisible Finder").

thumbs.db is a file created by WinXP when it creates thumbnails of images in a directory, and has nothing to do with OSX (unless a third party app you use creates simmilar files)

First off, hidden files in unix have a dot in front of them. If you open Terminal.app and use a text editor like vi/emacs/pico to open /.hidden you will see a list of folders that are hidden from view. Running 'ls -ls /' will show you everything on your system. Open up Finder and take a look at the root of the main HDD, you'll see that /bin, /etc, /sbin, /usr, all are hidden and not visible in the Finder. To make them visible, take them out of /.hidden. Oh, and /.hidden is -- well -- hidden! Because it has a dot in front of it. So to unhide a hidden file in OSX, find it in a term window, and then remove it's preceeding dot.

If you need a better explaination, msg me on AIM or send me a PM from the forum.

Back