highspeed card reader :p

sUICIDE_mONKEY

Registered
Hiya
Im thinkin of buyin a high speed card reader either firewire or one of those pcmcia ones. Was wondering anyone here used a pcmcia one, and what did yee think of it?

Also this is the one i'm lookin at, http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_4_402&products_id=1006 it doesnt say whether its compatible with osx or not, but would it be compatible because of the generic drivers that osx has built in support for eg usb card readers, usb drives etc...

And heres the lexar firewire reader http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...760/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-6180315-9955049
Cheers!

MACs with a PC card slot can read them from what i know, but if i were getting a card reader i would get the firewire card reader.

I have a SD/MMC USB one myself, and i think it was the best investment i made, it was on sale at officemax for 9.99 and had a mail in rebate for 10 bucks...so $0.55 for a USB card is not a bad deal at all.

I know your in Europe and all but check out NewEgg they have good deals on a ton of computer stuff, mac & pc

I wouldn't mind replacing my USB reader (SanDisk Imagemate 8n1) with a FW one...it's too slow, especially with those 1gb secure digital cards. Then again if I had a USB2 port I might not notice it. Just can't find any that would work as well for me. Like having the dock feature and the portability of the reader.

A friend of mine used the PC card reader his company gave him for a whole 2 days, before investing his own money in an external one. Not sure if the one he bought was FW or USB though. From what I gather, he wasn't very happy with it...he's what some people would call a penny-pincher. I think he still had his 867mhz 15" TiBook at that time.

I thought the pc-card would be faster than firewire as its the the slot that you can put firewire 400/800 usb2 and other high speed pc-card upgrades into...

So the firewire would be the faster better one to go for then?

Not sure if it was a speed issue or something else. Whatever it was, it drove him nuts enough to waste his own money on a solution. I'll beep him tomorrow and see if I can find out for you.

Back