Hissing, popping from power adapter, macbook

Hey guys, I recently installed Crossover to run uTorrent on my Macbook. I soon noticed a strange, rather annoying, high pitched whining that could be described as a hiss coming from what I first thought was my computer. I noticed that the whine would increase in pitch, and then pop. The pop would emit whenever uTorrent refreshed it's screen (with current upload/download speeds and % downloaded), and the increasing whine would be heard while the uTorrent display was stuck. I put my ear to the macbook, and believed I could hear the source of the noise, but I soon realized that the main culprit was the power adapter. When I unplugged the adapter, the noise all but stopped (including the noise from the laptop, which I think may have come from the PMU?)

What I still can't figure out is why the power adapter is making this noise, (perferably) how to stop it, and how this piece of hardware which presumably has nothing to do with the task at hand could possibly relate so directly to the software I'm running on my machine.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

It is it better to call them or to take it into a Genius Bar? It's not so much that the noise bothers me, but just that I'm really curious.

Does anyone have answers to my questions?

The power supply /may/ be affected by how hard the processor is working. I'd just get a replacement, as a noisy PSU is probably on the way out, in my experience.

If I had anything on my Mac that hissed, popped, rattled, or vibrated... I would definetly get it to the Doctor "Apple Store" as Bobw said... why take ANY chances at all??

Back