hitachi hd upgrade trouble

jroller

Registered
Advise a yearbook staff with a lab of various models acquired over the last seven years. Purchased four 80gb Hitachi HD's to upgrade an older slot-loading iMac (red), two Powermacs (blue and white G3, and early G4), and an eMac with HD failure. NONE of the four will work. Can't believe I purchased four faulty drives (from OWC), so it must be something I am doing wrong...

I have tried a number of things including ...

various jumper settings (via HD illustration) for master and slave settings with each of the four hds in b/w g3 after removing existing hd

put hd in working PM... various jumper settings... hd doesn't show.

Any ideas? Thanks...

'NONE of the four (hard disk drives, hdd) will work. Can't believe I purchased four faulty drives ... so it must be something I am doing wrong...', eh - once properly jumped as a 'slave' or 'master' and then installed each hdd, did you launch 'Disk Utility' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder) and format the drive? If not, do not expect the hdd to be visible on the 'Desktop' (this assumes that 'Finder's 'Finder, Preferences...' menu item's window, 'Sidebar' icon selected has the 'Hard Drive' check box check marked) and accessible.

I cannot believe you actually purchased Hitachi hard disk drives!

Yes, I did try DU on a working PM with second drive installed as a slave and via install disk on b/w G3 with drive installed as master.

Most I ever saw with any attempt was a drive called "Media" that contained 0 bytes; nothing could be done with it, so couldn't format it.

Guess I didn't know any better... I have a case # with Hitachi and could pursue an RMA with them.

Back