hmmm... what to do with the old PC

I just recently got a Mac Mini and since then I've been using it and nothing else.

I have actually quite a few older PCs. The fastest one I have is an HP Kayak 400Mhz with 64MB RAM. running Windoze 2000 Pro

I was wondering if there was a really good, free Linux OS or something similar that I could install on it. I do not favor microsoft of anything that has to do with them.

You can try Slackware 10.1, especially if you want to get familiar with Linux and UNIX. I use it everyday and it's very fast.

There's also Debian, which has a great package management system and support.

And there's also Ubuntu, which is a Debian-based distro but is more oriented to desktop use. Stil a very good distribution (wait until version 5.04 "Hoary Hedgehog" comes out with Gnome 2.10)

You could also try the BSDs or even Darwin.

Well... you've got options :)
1) play with operating systems (Linux, BSD, Solaris, BeOS, Syllable, Plan 9 - quite a few of them out there :D)

2) Mod it, hook it up to a TV/Cable box and make it a DVR

3) Get a ginormous sledge hammer, and...have fun :)

the fax machine scene from "Office Space" comes to mind...

Find a quiet field...

Take 2 friends along with plenty 'o' work-related angst...

Play rap song...

Damn it feels good to be a gangster...

Hey, Lighten up. Mac folks have angst with Microsoft, not with the PC architecture. :)

The PC architecture is a damn fine landscape for lots of stuff... and for lots of goodness to come. Hell, there's even a Darwin distro that runs on it.

You simply *can't* ignore market share.

chornbe said:
Hey, Lighten up. Mac folks have angst with Microsoft, not with the PC architecture. :)

You must have never have owned a certain computer company's COW box PC! I know many PC users that would do some horrible stuff to that hardware.

chornbe said:

The PC architecture is a damn fine landscape for lots of stuff... and for lots of goodness to come.

You obviously have a fetish for slashed, bleeding fingers…

Look inside a G5 – now that's what the inside of a computer should look like! :D

I would install linux/unix on it and use them as file servers, ftp servers, webservers, routers, whatever :)

At leasts thats what I do with my old PCs now.

Back