hole in tft-screen : will screen still work?

arri

Registered
sorry, i know it's a strange question, but i have no idea where to ask it..
will the screen still work when drilling a hole in it?

i need to know, and don't want to just risk damaging a screen when it's just not possible and finding out the expensive way.

maybe someone else already tried this..

arri

yes, ON purpose and WITH a purpose..
and if i will ruin it, is what i want to find out..

how do you know? have you tried?

ok, enough with the secrecy - why on earth do you have a PURPOSE to drill a hole in your screen?

It's not like wood or metal where the portion being removed is just material, a display is lots of circuits, wiring, circuit board, etc all coming together as one thing. a dead pixel is one thing, REMOVING those pixels, and whatever circuitry is behind them will almost gaurantee you'll kill teh display. I don't see how it could survive, but not being an electrical engineer, I won't say 100%

ah, what the heck, it's not my screen - go for it! let us know how it goes.

:rolleyes: :confused: :p

If you drill into the LCD itself the Liquid part of the Liquid Crystal Display will leak out and it will quit working. So yes, regardless of any other concerns it will kill it. If you just mean the case well then if you don't hit anything...

I plead ignorance, so forgive me if I'm incorrect,
but arri mentioned it was a TFT - isn't that different from a LCD?

again, I don't know the facts, but just pointing out the semantics.

Most items that attach to a screen or monitor (paper holders, web cams, filters, etc.) will use some kind of adhesive to hold in place. Some could be magnetic. If you have some device that requires drilling a hole for mounting, then you have something that should not be used around a display. Don't attempt this! As others have said, a hole in an LCD would be death to the LCD. Drilling somewhere close means you risk hitting the wrong spot.
Unless you have a CRT, drilling a hole in THAT could be very exciting (for the paramedics, that is)

TFT is a type of LCD display, some people use the term synonomously, but not exactly the same
definition -
TFT - Short for thin film transistor, a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, in which each pixel is controlled by from one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat-panel techniques, but it is also the most expensive. TFT screens are sometimes called active-matrix LCD.
TFTs are LCDs, but not all LCDs are TFTs

maybe he keeps losing his keys at work and needs a place to attach his keychain so he'll remember where they are :rolleyes:

DeltaMac - thanks for the clarification. I done got learned somethin new today! :)

Maybe he wants to see whos walking up to him while he's on the computer. A strategically placed hole in your display will let you see right through to the otherside. Not everyone realizes that... lol

ooh! or maybe a pencil holder?

c'mon, tell us why!

It's like Lewis Black's comedy bit where he's talking about a girl he overheard saying, "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college." He says not to think too hard about that sentence or else you'll get an annurism...I think I'm getting one now...

sorry for going all OT...

quiksan,

I know nothing about TFT or LCD, except for I wouldn't drill a hole in either, but the thread was worth following just for the Lewis Black "horse" quote.... always funny, even when "heard" second hand....

i think my brain is bleeding...
horse.......
hmm...

anyway. I dont think we should trust him with a computer. I saw we confiscate his 'book, and give it to me.

well, i just want to know if it would be possible to built a camera into a tft screen, without loosing too muych pixels..
and maybe it could be possible for instance to just remove the fluoresence/luminating layer behind the lcd-screen, and peek through the 'glass'..
and if that's not possible drilling a whole...

but well, i just need to try then.. fortunately a friend gave me a tft-screen that shows weird collored stripes, and flickers every now and then.. so i can try it out.
i will post my findings, and some photo's of the process if i do!

you will hear from me.

and oh, up till now i only fixed things, rather than breaking them, and as for this case, creating new things, by modifying other stuff..

i bet one can trust me better with equipment than you mister DanTekGeek.. ;)

arri said:
well, i just want to know if it would be possible to built a camera into a tft screen, without loosing too muych pixels..
and maybe it could be possible for instance to just remove the fluoresence/luminating layer behind the lcd-screen, and peek through the 'glass'..
and if that's not possible drilling a whole...

but well, i just need to try then.. fortunately a friend gave me a tft-screen that shows weird collored stripes, and flickers every now and then.. so i can try it out.
i will post my findings, and some photo's of the process if i do!

you will hear from me.

and oh, up till now i only fixed things, rather than breaking them, and as for this case, creating new things, by modifying other stuff..

i bet one can trust me better with equipment than you mister DanTekGeek.. ;)

If you want to make something cool out of it, point a video camera at the display and drill the hole while the display is on. Don't expect it to work afterwards :p

i was actually planning to drill the whiole with the screen on, and filming that process...

Back