Holy Christ, there's a 747 in the room!

Imagine

Registered
I was in the kitchen when I heard this loud fan noise coming out of the recording studio. I went to see what the problem was, and this loud 747 turbo fan noise was coming out of the G5 dual. Is this a normal occurrence?

Anyone know why this happened?

Thanks in advance.
Dean

What system software are you running? 10.3.2? What energy setting do you have your machine set to in the Energy Saver preference pane (reduced, highest, etc.)?

I'm running 10.3.2. The settings in the Energy Saver is set to Highest. I was told to do that by Apple/eMagic when using Logic.

Is this the problem?

Thanks
Dean

Technically, it's not a "problem." Your fans will run at a higher speed when the Energy Saver is set to "Highest." I'm almost positive this is the reason your fans kick on high speed... if you set the Energy Saver to "Reduced," you'll probably notice a marked reduction in fan noise.

It'll do that to me once in a while when I have a DVD in. Sorry to suggest otherwise, if you know it's the fan. (Some people don't)

A G5 in the store was extremely loud and it turned out that an app had crashed and was tying up 99% of the CPU for a length of time and that's what kicked the fans on. After a force quit they turned down after a minute. The fans should be related to CPU and/or graphics usage I would imagine... that's what kicks the PowerBook fan on for me.

My G5 did that once with nothing running but the finder, I think. There seems to be no way to know what's running in OS X. My energy setting has always been set to "Automatic". I hit shut down and rebooted, and it has not happened again.(3 months) Normally I can barely hear it run.
G5 DP 2 Ghz
Scarrrrry, isn't it?

Sam
P.S. I don't know why anything happens in Panther, but an awful lot sure does.

I experienced that before at this company i worked for, we thought it was going to blow, the other G5 with the same specs, apps... never had the problem though.

Howdy - Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one and see what happens (plus it has a great title!). My G4 DP 1 GHZ is doing this too, but somewhat frequently. This is when it seems to happen - if I put the machine to sleep, sometimes it locks up (10.3.5). When I restart it from this it starts with the fan just blasting. Then I can put it back to sleep and wake it up and it is its normal "quiet" self. I disovered my 4 port USB card was loose and this seemed to correct the lock up when sleep issue for some time, but it happens now and then. My only recent change to this machine (prior to all this starting to happen) was installing iLife 4 - I mean, come on, that can't be related can it?

P.S. I do have the upgraded more quieter power supply for this machine from Apple, but just have not got around to installing it.

Imagine: not that this would be the problem but 10.3.5 is the newest update and you really should update. if you run this machine in a studio then you want to be sure the os runs the best possible.

B&W-

I do have the latest update. I think I posted that quite a few months ago. I haven't had the problem since, expect for one time, where the weather was unbearable, and the 747 kicked in.

karavite said:
Howdy - Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one and see what happens (plus it has a great title!). My G4 DP 1 GHZ is doing this too, but somewhat frequently. This is when it seems to happen - if I put the machine to sleep, sometimes it locks up (10.3.5). When I restart it from this it starts with the fan just blasting. Then I can put it back to sleep and wake it up and it is its normal "quiet" self. I disovered my 4 port USB card was loose and this seemed to correct the lock up when sleep issue for some time, but it happens now and then. My only recent change to this machine (prior to all this starting to happen) was installing iLife 4 - I mean, come on, that can't be related can it?

P.S. I do have the upgraded more quieter power supply for this machine from Apple, but just have not got around to installing it.

???

...so install the new power supply kit and see if that helps. As far as I can remember, the new power supply kits were released months if not a year or more ago -- has it just been sitting around collecting dust?

And it's quite obvious that that WAS about the noise, that new power supply... Or did you revive the thread to troubleshoot the crashing issue? Then you _should_ have created a new one or searched for one about crashing issues...

I guess nobody takes the time to read - as I said it is not loud like this all the time and has never been this loud ever in the 2 years I have had it, so there has been no pressing need to install the new power supply/fan thing. So, when you take this into account, it seems relevant to this thread - its not a G5, but a G4 DP, but it is still a Mac that for no apparent reason is sounding like a 747 at specfic times.

If I had posted a new thread, then I'm betting 2+ people would have pointed me to this thread. What is happening to this forum? I don't think I was being rude, unclear or stupid, but apparently some people have too much time on their hands to critique minutia in posts.

If someone has advice on the cause of this problem, that would be appreciated. In the mean time I will try pulling the new USB card and getting around to the new power supply.

Back