Holy moly! Newton connects with iTunes!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Here's a brief apple./. (read: apple.slashdot) blurb about how developers are STILL supporting the Newton, hailing it as the "king of PDAs".

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/03/0543201

But look at THIS website:

http://www.pixell.net/doppler/newton/

It is an iTunes plugin for the Newton!!! The only thing is, I can't really tell what connection it uses, because in the picture it looks like it uses a USB, but then in the text it says that the Newton supports neither USB nor FireWire. What gives?

(Giving it further thought, I had a fleeting thought that this might be an April Fool's hoax. But it seems to be genuine, although I never downloaded the actual plugin, since I don't have a Newton.)

Ethernet Connectivity

If you want a fast lane into the music heaven, get yourself an Ethernet card. With a compatible Ethernet card, you will be able to access your Macintosh via EtherTalk from the Dock application.

The Newton is connected to the Mac with USB using a serial-to-USB adaptor, it seems.
Would love to have a Newton, but I doubt they're cheap... ;)

The cheapest (most useful) one is a newton 120 or 130 starting at $50.

Newton 110 models are available for cheaper but they use and Older OS, have less RAM and they aint worth it.

It's still surprising that people are still DEVELOPING for a 5-year-old handheld, that can only connect to new computers if you use a special adapter changer or something.

I know that the Newton still rocks every existing PDA, it's still very surprising that there's still so much support for it. And the support for it seems to be INCREASING, rather than DECREASING.

That would be funny if, as consumers, we got Apple to revive the Newton. :)

Headlines: Apple refuses to enter the PDA market but agrees to start selling it's 5 year old Newton again due to popular demand (and 50,000 protesters outside 1 Infinite Loop chanting "We want Newtons!"). Apple says it won't support the Newton, upgrade it, or provide any new functionality for it.

Update: 5 min. ago Apple announced it was selling Newtons again. Apple just announced it has sold 150,000,000 units at a profit of $8 each. Note: This Update took 5 min. to write.

Back