Home Folder Seen as Package!

pozix604

Registered
Hello all,

For some reason, my home directory just turned into type Package in the Finder! Some symptoms:

- I can see that /Users/Me is a directory in Terminal,
- /Users/Me has permissions drwxr-xr-x,
- I can access all the subfolders within it,
- but Finder will refuse to actually let me view the contents directly in /Users/Me,
- if I use any application such as Safari and try to save a document, I can likewise not be able to click on my home folder icon and view its contents,
- Finder Inspector says type is "Package", but regular folders are "Folder"

So the questions are:

- What makes Finder think that my home folder is a package? Files that I have in the folder or some sort of resource fork metadata?
- How do I change it back to a regular folder?

Thanks for any help.

Did you at any time muck around in the User Accounts section of System Preferences? I know that there is the option of saving the contents of a user's home folder if that user account is going to be deleted. This way once you have deleted that account the contents are saved as a package. This is what it sounds like to me.

Nope, that's not it. I didn't tough the accounts, though I did rename the hard disk once. I'm wondering whether there is some configuration that saved the old hard disk name and now that I've renamed, it can't find it anymore.

Any other ideas?

How did you change thje name initially? Did you just rename the icon on the desktop to something else? That shouldn't have any effect on the system.

I clicked on the hard disk, brought up the Inspector and changed it there. Is there a metadata tag that could possibly make a directory into a package? Finder definitely sees it as a package -- when I double click on the /Users/Me folder in the Finder, it asks me which application I want to open it with! Something's not in sync here ...

Back